1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Why so many resources of same type?

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation' started by parallelsbox, Nov 7, 2012.

1. parallelsbox

parallelsbox Basic Pleskian

35%
    What are all these resources used for? I noticed that if I create a subscription in a plan with resource "Postfix Mail Service" it doesn't provision any Postfix service, but if I create a subscription in a plan with resource "Postfix Mail #7" it provisions the service.

1000046 Postfix Mail Service Postfix Mail Service
    1000084 Postfix Mail #2 Postfix Mail Service
    1000100 Postfix Mail #3 Postfix Mail Service
    1000106 Postfix Mail #4 Postfix Mail Service
    1000159 Postfix Mail #7 Postfix Mail Service
    1000164 Postfix Mail #8 Postfix Mail Service
    1000180 Postfix Mail #16 Postfix Mail Service
    1000214 Postfix Mail #17 Postfix Mail Service
    1000220 Postfix Mail #18 Postfix Mail Service
    1000242 Postfix Mail #19 Postfix Mail Service

2. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Regular Pleskian Plesk Team

57%
    Every service template (ST) should have its own instance of a resource class with activation parameters, because these parameters may vary between different templates. Different ST-s may be also provisioned on different nodes, which also require separate instances of the resource classes, called here resource types (RT). That's why our wizards create them unconditionally - each ST has its own set of RT-s. The only way to reduce the number of RT-s is creating ST-s manually, what you can always do. But the wizards are for simplification of this process.

3. TDub

TDub Basic Pleskian

85%
    I find all the # in the various areas throughout PPA confuses me. I believe they represent associated ID's of linked resources and such, but I think it would be better to include the actual names of what is being linked in parenthesis so we know what is actually being referenced.

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about yet?

4. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Regular Pleskian Plesk Team

57%
    Frankly, these are not even the IDs, but just some sequential numbers that allow to distinguish one RT instance from another. We might put the name of a service template there when we automatically create an RT for a specific ST, like "Postfix Mail - Linux Shared Hosting", but a) generally speaking, a single RT may be used in several STs, b) renaming an ST will create a complete mess in this naming, and cascading it intellectually is an unnecessary complication. We really have a lot of more useful things to implement than coding around this naming. So, my advice, ignore the names, and if you want to see in which STs a particular RT participates, just click the Service Templates tab.