• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

windows 2003 to 2008 migration

J

jdroger3

I have plesk 8.4 on windows 2003 server (x86) and I would like to move to windows 2008 (x64). What is the best way to do this? I have another server i can use if necessary so it doesnt have to be on the same machine.

Install 2008, configure Plesk on 2008, then use the migration manager to move the Plesk accounts from the old server to the new one.

Thanks for not thinking it was a dumb question... I try to keep up with stuff, but there is always something that I'm missing... Well, you tought me that there was a neat utility out there to do this work! Thanks!
I don't know what all it does, but maybe it might be able to help me.
I'm taking down w2k3 servers and replacing them with w2k8 servers.
I have tuns of domains running on them and I was just going to back them up, one at a time, in Plesk Admin, and just do it that way. Do you think the migration utility you mention would do any better? More safe? Easier? Quicker? Possibly???
Thanks!

Dave.

I do think the migration manager will do it better for two reasons:

1. It was developed by Parallels, so it is native to Plesk
2. It works by migration data, and bits from one Plesk server to the other. This is done using the rsync mechanism, and we all know that rsync is a wonderful tool to have.

I think you'll have a higher success rate with the migration manager instead of the backup mechanism.

Ok, here's another dumb question...
How does the "Migration Manager" handle transfering the data from one server
to another, specially if the IP's are different for those domains?
I don't know if that makes sence... So, I'll explain a bit more.
For example... If I have 2 servers, one functioning on the WEB and one that is
just sitting freshly installed with the OS and Plesk. The IP's on the new server
are configured to an IP that is not used. An IP that is not used because the IP's
on the working server are up and serving the public WWW.
Does the 'migration manager' care about how the IP's are configured on the new server?
Since two servers, two machines can't exist on the same network with the same
IP's, they'd have to have two different IP's, both working IP's on the local
network so they can see each other, but yet the new server can't have the IP's
of the domains because the old server(source) is serving the WWW and the new server(destination) can't have the IP's or they'll be a conflict.
I don't know how the migration manager works and was wondering if this poses
any problems if the new server, the fresh blank, not yet setup server, is well... not setup to any IP's yet.
Does the migration manager configure the new server to the IP's of the old one or does it just copy the domain data in IIS/Sitebuilder/Etc and then one would have to configure the IPs' once the old server is pulled off the network...
Can you explain a bit more on how it works and how it gets around this?
Your right, it sounds like it would be much easier to migrate the data from one server to another, but I dont know how it gets around the IP stuff because if it makes the new server the same as the old the IP's would conflict...

Thanks a bunch for all your info! I did get the file, didn't run it yet because I'm not sure how it works and don't want to mess anything up :))

Oh, one more thing. What about different OS's. The old servers have win2k3 enterprise on them and the new server has win2k8 standard on them...

Thanks!

Dave.

When you run migration manager from within Plesk, it will ask you to link IPs from old server and display IPs on your new server.

Once you specify this, it will automatically link all the domains on the NEW server to the IPs you mentioned when you ran the Migration Manager.

Hope that helps.

I am not sure about the different OS Q you have.

Migrating from 2003->2008..

I´m trying to migrate from a 2003->>2008 and some of the accounts/domains migrate just fine, but a lot of times it just migrates the client account and then it stops and says that it was 'successfully' migrated although domains weren´t migrated to the clients account...

Trying to then do a migration of the domain alone to the migrated clientaccount ends the same way - it shows as if it was a success but nothing happened at all...

Just for tests same account has been tried migrated to a new 2003 server, but same result, so it isn´t 2008 specific.

Anybody outthere with a brilliant idea to what´s going on?

You need to disable "meet password complexity" in windows 2008

Administrative tools --> Local security Policy --> Account policies --> Password policy

Back