• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wont create Password Protected Directory

S

SteelToad

When using Password Protected Directories, the directory is not actually created. It allows me to set up the security, and users, but no directory is actually created. If I use File Manager to create the directory it all works as it should.

Plesk 9.3 / Windows / IIS

As I can see there is some confusion or misunderstanding here. When Plesk creates a protected directory in fact it creates a protection for specific URL path. For example

http://domain.com/subfolder

It does not mean that folder should be created physically on the disk or virtually in IIS. This task should be performed by domain administrator. The folder might not exist at all but protection will work. The checking is processed by Plesk ISAPI filter. After authentication has been passed the filter lets request in and client can view http://domain.com/subfolder. It does not matter if "subfolder" is virtual folder or physical.

I thought that might be the case.

The help file should be updated to indicate that it does not create the directory, it currently says that it does.

mydomainname.com:8443/help.php?context=client.domain.hosting.protected-directories&prefix=dl_usr/

3. Specify the path to the directory that you wish to password protect in the Directory name box.
This can be any directory existing in your site, for example: /private. If the directory that you would like to protect has not yet been created, specify the path and the directory name – Parallels Plesk Panel will create it for you.

Yes, we have already request about documentation updating. I hope it will be corrected in the one of nearest Plesk version.

Directory protection is not working for a website on our windows plesk 9.1 server. Problem is only for one website. It was working fine before but stopped working now. Creating a new directory protection also not working now.

The 'urlprotect' extension has added in the ISAPI filter for the website in IIS. What might be causing this issue?

Have you figured out the issue for the Directory protection is not working? I am having the same issue

Problem solved

We found if you had frontpage server extentions installed and then removed them plesk or IIS did not remove frontpage completely and you must delete the domain and recreate it with-out frontpage or you can not add password protection to the folder.

Back