• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wrong path for awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

A

Anton Akola

8.0.1 -> 8.1 Wrong path for awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

Hello there.

I've just upgraded Plesk from 8.0.1 to 8.1 on Fedora 4, using Plesk Updater. The upgrade seemingly went fine.

I've switched all hosted domains from Webalizer to Awstats. Configuration files have been generated in /usr/local/psa/etc/awstats and they look OK.

What's wrong is that no statistic get generated. In the /var/log/messages log, there are messages like this one:
[...] statistics: Unable to execute /usr/share/awstats/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl [...]

awstats_buildstaticpages.pl is in fact in:
/usr/share/awstats/tools

Could anyone in the know ;-) give me a start on what are my options to correct the problem. Plesk files are encrypted and I didn't find any clear text configuration file with anything like paths to awstats tools.

I'd like to keep Plesk in as pristine a state as it can be. I suppose I could bluntly put a symbolic link in the expected place but it might be a partial workaround or lead to unexpected troubles down the line.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Update: I eventually saw that others got the same problem, but the search function of the site didn't return their messages at first and no satisfactory solution is given yet.

Could we all expect a swift 8.1.1?

Hey I put in a ticket to support over this, "its been reported to our developers......"

But it pissed me off the last 3 days back and forth over this. Meantime I fixed the issue until they eventually do (one day)...

When you run:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics

Plesk uses stupid dumb paths for the two binaries. I also run FC4.

What I found - if you want:
awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

Its located:
/usr/share/awstats/tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

NOT

/usr/share/awstats/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

Next

awstats.pl

Its located:
/usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl

NOT
/var/www/cgi-bin/awstats/awstats.pl

TEMPORARY FIX:

Login as root...

cd /usr/share/awstats
ln -s /usr/share/awstats/tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

cd /var/www/cgi-bin
mkdir awstats
cd awstats
ln -s /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl awstats.pl

This creates two symlinks that link stupid plesks path back to the proper path and it all runs just dandy.

Plesk have two ways to fix this.... Update the paths in their stupid /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics calls up (or allow you to change it).

Or why was this awsats not installed as psa-awstats if they insist on using stupid paths.

It seems this issue is effecting Fedora, certainly FC4. Probably others too.

So you just did the upgrade and found this issue? Please let me know.

I run a 'yum update' and picked up awstats-6.5-3....

They claim in the last ticket response its the fault of 6.5.3, but I can only believe this after someone confirms on a FC4 system they have 6.5.2.swsoft's awstats and it runs without symlinks.

Also I ran the update a day after, and its not like awstats was even working and stopped, like you nothing from the start.

Seems your issue proves the version makes no difference.

Support want me to remove the 6.5.3, but its a production server with clients that use the stats, I am not prepared to do this and risk wiping out the data (its been running almost since 8.1 was released).

I just want the paths updated that /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics calls, but still no answer on this.

I think my temp symlink fix may be needed for quite sometime...

Cheers!

David

awstats 6.5-3 Wrong path for awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

Hello there.

Thanks for your thorough answer, David.
Originally posted by 105547111
Hey I put in a ticket to support over this, "its been reported to our developers......"
So, SWsoft know.

cd /usr/share/awstats
ln -s /usr/share/awstats/tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl awstats_buildstaticpages.pl

cd /var/www/cgi-bin
mkdir awstats
cd awstats
ln -s /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl awstats.pl

This creates two symlinks that link stupid plesks path back to the proper path and it all runs just dandy.
Thanks.
It seems this issue is effecting Fedora, certainly FC4. Probably others too.

So you just did the upgrade and found this issue? Please let me know.

I run a 'yum update' and picked up awstats-6.5-3....
Same here. I ran yum update before awstats had any chance of generating its first statistics.

I run:
FedoraCore 4
Plesk v8.1.0_build81061129.22
awstats 6.5-3.fc4
They claim in the last ticket response its the fault of 6.5.3
Might be right.
I think my temp symlink fix may be needed for quite sometime...
Hmmpf. :mad:

Cheers.

Anton,

Well your stats will now all speed along nicely now, mine are going fantastic..

Also better check your cron, my upgrade from 8.01 to 8.1 wiped out:

7 4 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1

(thats for root of course)

What I don't understand is why did plesk 'butcher' up the paths for the two awstat binaries....

If they insisted on this, as I said why was it not installed as psa-awstats??

Seems to be not very well thought out.

Then to tell you (support) to roll back and then exclude awstats from yum, thats a totally unacceptable rough and ready fix. Next time you do a reinstall you got to remember to do that again...

Either they insist on butchered paths and make it psa-awstats...

Or fix the bloody paths to standard.

Look at all the 'spam' on our desktops, I found another bug in backups (at least if you ftp repository) if your backup is 4GB it shows up as 2GB (now they write a single file instead of 2GB chunks). But still how well did someone think about getting it reporting the right file size.

With these 3 issues seems to be it was not well thought out at all and I think we will all be waiting quite a while for all the fixes.

Support STILL have not got back to me about the backups. I am assuming they just display wrong and they actually are okay and work. I did log into my FTP repo and they all look good about 4.1 GB each.

Cheers,

David

Originally posted by 105547111
Anton,

Well your stats will now all speed along nicely now, mine are going fantastic..

Also better check your cron, my upgrade from 8.01 to 8.1 wiped out:

7 4 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1

(thats for root of course)

Hmm I had the same problem. awstats is buggy as hell...

:(
Reminds me of ghostbusters movie 'we got another one'.
This whole 8.1 is a bad nightmare.
I hope my patch gets everyone through until we see a fix. With all the bugs take a number and get inline.

After swearing and cursing for a while and reading what i could to get awstats working, I noticed when I ran "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics" manually, my stats did indeed update. I didn't change any paths or make any links. I seems that only the cron was not working.

regenerate awstats domain config files?

how do you regenerate new config files for each domain? I want some common options changed from the defaults, turn on some plugins, etc, but I don't want to have to edit each config file by hand. Is there a script somewhere that will regenerate each domain's config files based on a template?

Back