• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

YUM Update error

D

DoobyWho

When trying to run yum update I get :

conflict between spamassassin and psa-spamassassin

I did some research and found only one thread that mentioned it and it was said that you may have to remove psa-spamassassin. How do you do that? Is that the answer?

Thanks.

Nope:

[root@vps102 root]# rpm -qa | grep spamassassin
[root@vps102 root]# yum install psa-spamassassin
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 3ES - Atomic PSA-Compatible RPMS
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 3ES - Atomic Desktop
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 3ES - Base OS RPMS mirror
Server: Atomic Rocket Turtle - 3ES - SW-Soft PSA 7.5 RPMS
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
..conflict between spamassassin and psa-spamassassin

already tried rebuilding the rpm db.

Also tried installing spamassassin first, makes no difference.

You installed psa-spamassassin which will cause a conflict. The psa-spamassassin is the Plesk interface module for spamassassin. To install spamassassin you would have done 'yum install spamassassin'

You should do 'rpm -e psa-spamassassin', then do the yum update.

I already removed both spamassassin and psa-spamassassin -- read again:

rpm -qa | grep spamassassin

This would return any psa-spamassassin still in the rpm system.

That is the problem. I have removed all psa-spamassassin and spamassassin rpm's yet "yum install" still complains that there is a conflict between the two.

THAT is the problem!

Actually, now that this is a continuing problem, I setup a VE in Virtuozzo real quick, running CentOS3 though(same thing) and have replicated your problem!

So this is infact some sort of issue with ART's repo. It might just be for ES3/CentOS3.....

Maybe Scott can help! :)

Originally posted by madsere
[root@vps102 root]# rpm -qa | grep spamassassin
[root@vps102 root]# yum install psa-spamassassin
I did read it properly, just after your first grep line, you posted that you did a "yum install psa-spamassassin" , so I guess what I should have said was that you 'tried' to install the psa-spamassassin module.

I guess I may be a little mixed up, since you are using ARTs channels, I may have also assumed that you have already updated SA to his version, and possibly installed qmail-scanner from his repo. If this is the case, then you do NOT want to install psa-spamassassin at all. As a matter of fact, I believe it is recommended to yum --exclude=psa-spamassassin in these cases.

I apologize if I was in error on any of these assumptions.

We're paying good money to have the psa-spamassassin module as part of Plesk for our clients - now you're telling me "it is recommended to yum --exclude=psa-spamassassin" ?

Perhaps we should just ask for a refund from swsoft then?

:)

A.R.T. is kind enough to complile these repos; If you meant to blame him, don't because he is doing us a great service.

If you really want psa-spamassassin, get it from swsoft website and do an RPM install.

What kind of server do you you have? Dedicated/VDS/VPS??

The updater button won't install psa-spamassassin?

Who installed your plesk version?

I wouldn't dream about blaming ART, I know he does his best, which under the circumstances is outstanding!

I am blaming SWsoft who are employing exceedingly creative licensing methods to extract more money for a piece of software that appears more and more flawed.

Examples include charging $50 for a front-end to a piece of free (OOS) software which then doesn't even work.

I'm strongly considerinig moving my business to Cpanel. At least they don't just expect a third party to provide their updates for free.

I unstalled (installed, sorry, perhaps a freudian lapse) my Plesk version myself, as well as my Virtuosso server. I have both standalone and VPS plesk servers as well as a couple of Ensim servers.

I don't even know what updater button you are talking about, as already mentionned I'm using plain yum with ART repositories. Again, no complaints about ART but I think for the money we pay for Plesk and associated software they could and should provide a working repo with support themselves.

Okay, cool, I thought you expected ART to update your system. :)

Do you have psa-spamassassin in your Virtuozzo templates? It should be there as I have a few OS's all which have psa-spamassassin and spamassassin, granted the spamassassin version is old, it is still there to be upgraded.

Also, did you pay extra for the swsoft RHEL3 templates or did you install somehow on your own VE or are you using the CentOS3.3 (really 3.5) template?

Thanks ;)

Oh sorry, also the "Updater" button is at the admin level of Plesk on stand alone server, which you say you have... Click on "server" then click on "updater", then you will see what I'm talking about. This won't be available using VZ installs even if you install not using an swsoft template.

Back