• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup to Personal FTP repository not overwriting oldest file

BobPxx

New Pleskian
I use the Backup Manager to create automatic scheduled backups of my Media Temple websites and FTP them out to a Personal FTP Repository -- which in my case a Personal Cloud Server at StorageMadeEasy.com.

As I understand it, SME is basically Amazon S3 with FTP capability added. In other words, Amazon S3 doesn't natively support FTP, but Storage Made Easy adds some kind of FTP implementation on top of it.

So it's working somewhat: Plesk is FTPing the backup file to the Cloud successfully. The backup file shows up in my cloud on schedule.

However, although I've set the "Maximum number of backups in repository" to 3, that part isn't working. That is, after I get to three backups in the repository, the new backup does not overwrite the oldest. It just adds a new backup without deleting the old one, and before too long I run out of disk space.

By the way, if I choose to save my backups to the Server Repository, this works as expected and it just keeps the most recent three. But I prefer to keep my backups off-site.

Any idea what might be going on here, or how I might correct this? I'm asking on the SME forum, too, but not sure where the problem lies.

I am also on Media Temple and am having the same problem. In addition to that issue, when the backup runs, Plesk requires double my normal disk space. Apparently it must first compile all the filse and then it will FTP them to the remote location.

I've been looking for a way to use Amazon S3 with Plesk Backup Manager when I found this thread and I'm wondering: With the exception of versioning, how's StorageMadeEasy been working for you?

same problem - trouble ticket filed with MT support

I also have noticed the same limit problem not working as well as double the space needed issue... perhaps it must be resolved via a shell script and cron, but looking for more elegant solution first so have filed a trouble ticket with MT... will update when I get a response.

Last edited:
Work-Around

I also have noticed the same limit problem not working as well as double the space needed issue... perhaps it must be resolved via a shell script and cron, but looking for more elegant solution first so have filed a trouble ticket with MT... will update when I get a response.

I didn't find a solution for this, but rather a work-around. You can set-up an automated backup for each client individually, spread out over the week. You still need double the disk space for the client's files, but -- at least for me -- that's not much compared to doing all client's sites at one time.

I then pay MT $20 for their Snapshot Backup service. I was able to downgrade my MT service and save $50 on hosting. You could probably back up the Plesk files separately as well, which I suppose would eliminate the need for a Snapshot backup.

That's a bit of extra work when I set up a new client but I prefer it to paying for disk space I don't need.

I don't have any solution of this problem. Actually i am using Open drive for backup and i have never faced such problem. But information shared by Jeffery seems relevant. Hope it will help you.

Back