• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Best way to completely get rid of "statistics_collection"

gennolo

Basic Pleskian
Hello,
I am running several VMs in a datastore with Plesk 12.5.30 and I ran in disk IO/s trouble because of "statistics_collection" process reading like crazy domains files for hours and hours.
Domains have million of files and I don't really need internal statistics.

I followed this KB article :

http://talk.plesk.com/threads/disable-statistics_collector-on-all-domains.283647/

to disable statistics for all domains but I find that every night at midnight "statistics_collection" started again causing the same trouble.

I see that the script is called in /etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily in this line:
/usr/local/psa/bin/sw-engine-pleskrun /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/script.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Is it safe to comment the line or there is another way to avoid statistics being generated ?

What does "DailyManteinance" script do other than creating statistics ?

Thank you.

DailyManteinance script makes a lot of different tasks - http://kb.odin.com/en/114797
So, it is very bad idea to disable this script.
As possible solution you can try to completely disable webstat calculation for particular domains with

# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u domain.com -webstat none

or for all domains with

# for i in `mysql -uadmin -p\`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow\` psa -Ns -e "select name from domains"`; do /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u $i -webstat none; done

Hello Igor ,
thank you for your quick response.

As I mentioned early, I already followed to KB article and I disabled webstat calculation for all domains (I also ran "httpdmng reconfigure all" after),
but I still encounter the problem of "statistics_collection" process running for hours every night on all VMs , dramatically increasing the load average because of I/O consumption.

VMs are quite large and they mostly run ecommerce websites (lot of small files, images, thumbnails, cache files etc.).

Those are the processes :

root 119545 0.0 0.0 106060 476 ? SN 03:43 0:00 \_ /bin/bash /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily
root 119568 0.0 0.0 106060 472 ? SN 03:43 0:00 \_ /bin/sh /etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily
root 119570 0.0 0.0 355784 852 ? SN 03:43 0:00 | \_ /usr/bin/sw-engine -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/script.php
root 128672 0.0 0.2 354500 4332 ? SN 04:19 0:00 | \_ /usr/bin/sw-engine -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/task-script.php ExecuteStatistics --period=daily
root 128677 0.0 0.2 362112 4804 ? SN 04:19 0:00 | \_ /usr/bin/sw-engine -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics --no-webstat
root 128684 0.5 2.5 153488 48756 ? DN 04:19 1:22 | \_ /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/statistics_collector
root 119569 0.0 0.0 105948 396 ? SN 03:43 0:00 \_ awk -v progname=/etc/cron.daily/50plesk-daily progname {????? print progname ":\n"????? progname="";???? }???? { print; }

I have to kill the "statistics_collector" PID manually to get an accetable load on the VM.

So I would know how to avoid to run the "statistics_collection" process and leave the other manteinance tools.

There are not only webstatistics calculation but disk usage, traffic, etc which is performed by statistics_collection process. I'm afraid that it is hardcoded in DailyMaintainance script and this script started by crontask. So, it would be bad idea to disable whole DailyMaintainance script.

This is a screenshot of "iotop" running on a box where "statistics_collector" is running from 9 hours and counting.

So your only suggestion is to get a more performant disk ?

Attachments

• 2015-11-23_0902.png
    2015-11-23_0902.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 11
I think that this problem is related to VPS resources allocation question. No easy and painless method for disabling statistics_collector completely. I'd suggest you contact your VPS and hardware node administrators regarding improving I/O performance for this overloaded VPS from hardware node side.

Indeed I solved the problem by distributing some of my VMs storage on another disk.
Thank you for your help.

Back