• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question Cannot log into WordPress using User Credentials

theasset

New Pleskian
Good afternoon

Hoping I am posting this in the right place

The company I use for reselling hosting uses Plesk Obsidian as it's interface. As someone who is more familiar with CPanel there's a bit of a learning curve to get caught up!

One issue I seem to be having is that I cannot log into any WordPress site I am hosting when I attempt to use the username and password that I've generated from within each WP dashboard, I can only log in from the Plesk interface.. Is this a Plesk related issue or something to do with how the WP sites are installed?

Thanks, and apologies in advance if this isn't in the right place

I don't think thats the default behaviour for Wordpress sites on Plesk. I am also unable to reproduce your issue.

Whats your setup? Do you install Wordpress sites directly from Plesk and subsequently create the login credentials for the Wordpress site during that proces?

Hi Rasp - thanks for your message ... I install WP sites directly from Plesk, but then add extra users through the WP dashboard.
My issue is that if I try to navigate to www.examplesite.com/wp-admin and use the username (or email) and the password I've generated, it gives me an error as if the information is incorrect.

Yet if I use the WP Toolkit interface through Plesk to log in, whereby I'm choosing a user to log in with, then I enter the password, this then logs in without an issue.

Sorry for the delay in responding - since I am more of an "end user" than a full Plesk administrator, it wasn't as easy to find this information - It's Obsidian 18.0.40

I tried to replicate your issue but for me everything works as expected. Here is what I did:

1) Login to Plesk, created a new subdomain for testing purposes
2) Installed the most recent Wordpress version (WP 5.9) without any additional plugins or themes directly from Plesk clicking the "Install Wordpress" link on the domain dashboard.
Schermafbeelding 2022-02-07 om 12.36.12.png
3) After the WP installation finished I clicked the "Log in" button in Plesk to login to the Wordpress installation
Schermafbeelding 2022-02-07 om 12.39.05.png
4) On the Wordpress Dashboard I navigated to "Users" and click to "Add New" button to add a new user with the Administrator role.
5) I logged out of Wordpress (using the Log Out link in top right corner).
6) Then I use the credentials from the newly created user to log back in.

Do you follow the same steps, or did I do anything different?

Last edited:
I tried to replicate your issue but for me everything works as expected. Here is what I did:

1) Login to Plesk, created a new subdomain for testing purposes
2) Installed the most recent Wordpress version (WP 5.9) without any additional plugins or themes directly from Plesk clicking the "Install Wordpress" link on the domain dashboard.
View attachment 20181
3) After the WP installation finished I clicked the "Log in" button in Plesk to login to the Wordpress installation
View attachment 20182
4) On the Wordpress Dashboard I navigated to "Users" and click to "Add New" button to add a new user with the Administrator role.
5) I logged out of Wordpress (using the Log Out link in top right corner).
6) Then I use the credentials from the newly created user to log back in.

Do you follow the same steps, or did I do anything different?
Yep, that's what I've been doing. Is there anywhere I can pull a log to show the errors on login attempts, and/or a plugin that that can add this functionality?

Is there anywhere I can pull a log to show the errors on login attempts, and/or a plugin that that can add this functionality?
Perhaps, but that's beyond the scope of Plesk and more in to the realm of Wordpress.

Since you're an end user of Plesk the best advice I can give you is to try to work with your provider to get your issue sorted. I doubt this is a Plesk related issue, but I could be wrong of course. In any case your provider can access the available service logs to help you troubleshoot your issue.

However if I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it either a Wordpress plugin or Theme that's causing you problems. But that would be weird if you installed a bare Wordpress site, without any additional plugins or themes between step 3 and 4 of my previous post.

Last edited:
Back