• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Custom PHP FPM configuration. Configuration file disappears when registering with php_handler

RDrake

New Pleskian
I installed a custom PHP version in order to be able to use PHP parallel extension.
After the installation, the service was missing, so I set it up by copying
plesk-php82-fpm.service and the directory plesk-php82-fpm.service.d/

I then registered the new PHP version according to this article

At first it seemed to work like a charm but then I got 503 errors when visiting the website.
I started to observe the /php-fpm.d/ directory of the new php version. After assigning a domain to the new php version in plesk backend, two config files appear:
Code:
mydomain.de.conf
plesk-service.localdomain.conf

The service status is:
Code:
● php82-fpm.service - The PHP 8.2 FastCGI Process Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/php82-fpm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/php82-fpm.service.d
           └─limit_nofile.conf, respawn.conf
   Active: activating (start) since Sun 2023-04-09 15:36:02 CEST; 1min 17s ago
 Main PID: 21759 (php-fpm)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 105)
   CGroup: /system.slice/php82-fpm.service
           └─21759 php-fpm: master process (/etc/php8z/etc/php-fpm.conf)

Apr 09 15:36:02 h2891136.stratoserver.net systemd[1]: Starting The PHP 8.2 FastCGI Process Manager...

But after about one minute the config files disappear and the status of the service goes to the failed state :

Code:
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/php82-fpm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2023-04-09 15:37:34 CEST; 3min 23s ago
 Main PID: 17614 (code=exited, status=78)
[09-Apr-2023 15:37:33] ERROR: No pool defined. at least one pool section must be specified in config file

I have no idea on how I analyse or fix this.
Neither
Code:
/var/log/sw-cp-server/sw-engine.log
, nor the php82-fpm.log errorlog show a related error (except for
Code:
ERROR: No pool defined. at least one pool section must be specified in config file
)

Any hints on how to investigate this are greatly welcome!

I just got aware the there is a timeout after assigning the new PHP version in the backend:

Code:
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: timeout) since Sun 2023-04-09 15:55:45 CEST; 99ms ago
  Process: 26718 ExecStart=/etc/php8z/sbin/php-fpm --nodaemonize --fpm-config /etc/php8z/etc/php-fpm.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 26718 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

--> would be great if there was an error log which could provide more insight on this ... ??

I just got aware the there is a timeout after assigning the new PHP version in the backend:

Code:
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: timeout) since Sun 2023-04-09 15:55:45 CEST; 99ms ago
  Process: 26718 ExecStart=/etc/php8z/sbin/php-fpm --nodaemonize --fpm-config /etc/php8z/etc/php-fpm.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 26718 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

--> would be great if there was an error log which could provide more insight on this ... ??
Further info: this is not fixed by executing
plesk repair web mydomain.de

Also not fixed by
Code:
# plesk repair web -php-handlers -php-fpm-configuration

Another info: the webpage works like a charm with the new PHP version - exactly until the timeout happens %)

Whadda ya know! I stumbled across a similar error like mine:
php7.0-fpm.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating. - Raspberry Pi Forums
And so I simply installed the Debian -- Informationen über Paket rng-tools in stretch in my system and bam! it just works now.

If anyone has an explanation why all plesk-installed PHP versions just work, but the custom configured PHP version needs an extra set of tools - that doesn't get installed automatically - I'd be thankful for a small enlightenment.

Back