• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved disable plaintext (PLAIN) authentication in imap/dovecot and smtp/postfix breaking webmail/roundcube

Wolfgang Reidlinger

Basic Pleskian
Hi there,

After following this article to disable plaintext authentication for my mail service (imap/dovecot and smtp/postfix) I ran into the following issues with Roundcude webmail service.
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213400829

Roundcude webmail is not working, showing me SMTP Error (535): Authentication failed. Also in the logs I can see that PLAIN is stilled used.

2022-04-19 14:33:07 postfix/smtpd[3667] disconnect from localhost[::1] ehlo=1 auth=0/1 quit=1 commands=2/3
2022-04-19 14:33:07 postfix/smtpd[3667] warning: localhost[::1]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: no mechanism available
2022-04-19 14:33:07 postfix/smtpd[3667] warning: SASL authentication failure: Couldn't find mech PLAIN
2022-04-19 14:33:07 postfix/smtpd[3667] TLS SNI localhost from localhost[::1] not matched, using default chain
2022-04-19 14:33:07 postfix/smtpd[3667] connect from localhost[::1]

To me it seams that some configuration step is missing. Testing the setup/config with thunderbird email client everything is working and the logs show correct behaviour.

2022-04-19 15:34:59 dovecot imap-login: Login: user=<***@domain.com>, method=CRAM-MD5, rip=*************, lip=********, mpid=17871, TLS, session=<OjN78QHdBldTr1fk>

Reading the comments of the first article, finding out that the link is not working.
Maximilian Hermann April 15, 2020 18:07
I think it is a good way to do this, but you have to change Roundcube Settings as well otherwise SMTP won't work anymore, because roundcube seems to be using plain by default: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...ication-via-Roundcube-AUTHENTICATE-DIGEST-MD5

Than I found this article telling me to revert the changes from the first artikle.
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...esk-server-encryption-needed-to-use-mechanism

I mainly use email client but I also want that this webmail service is working.
Anybody got this roundcube webmail service to use secure authentication without breaking the service?

Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.43 Update #1, last updated on April 18, 2022 10:59 AM

Edit file /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php and add the following configuration:

PHP:
$config['smtp_auth_type'] = 'CRAM-MD5';
$config['imap_auth_type'] = 'CRAM-MD5';

Back