• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved domain with storage in sub-folder of another domain

jonny512379

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.56 Update #4,
Hello All

I would like to have storage as detailed below for some of my domains:

example1.com IN /var/www/vhosts/example1.com/httpdocs/
example2.com IN /var/www/vhosts/example1.com/httpdocs/example2/

On other servers (possibly more basic than plesk) i have used, this was done in "Apache Directives", where i could set Alias, log file locations, and of course the storage location.
I am no server expert as you can tell.

Mt reason for wanting the domain structure as above (i know .htaccess will inherit, but i am fine with this):
I have 1 large site, with 100s of backend code files, that need to be identical for all sites. I do not want to have to host identical files for each domain name
FYI: the files i want all sites to be able to access are mainly in /var/www/vhosts/example1.com/httpdocs/class/

Is this possible please?
Or would there be a better way of me doing this, yet using the same backend files for all domains?

Thanks
Jon

Plesk does this automatically if you create a new domain that shares it's webspace with an existing domain. (Or if you are using the Service Provider View, a 'webspace' is similar to a subscription. In which case you would add a new domain to an existing subscription).

Last edited:
Plesk does this automatically if you create a new domain that shares it webspace with an existing domain. (Or if you are using the Service Provider View, a 'webspace' is similar to a subscription. In which case you would add a new domain to an existing subscription).
hehe. well thank you... i never thought to try and see if it will automatically do it... i was looking into A website hosted in Plesk is not accessible: open_basedir restriction in effect - Support Cases from Plesk Knowledge Base and many other ideas.
I will give it a go! thank you!!!

Plesk does this automatically if you create a new domain that shares it webspace with an existing domain. (Or if you are using the Service Provider View, a 'webspace' is similar to a subscription. In which case you would add a new domain to an existing subscription).
So simple, yet i have tried various methods over the day, resulting in "not accessible", "not in path" or "permissions errors".
I never though to try the obvious, assuming Plesk would not have had much need to for this in the past.
It works perfect, with slight alteration to the include/required file path!
(i am going to need to upgrade my licence as i now need more domains, now that i know i can get this to work, without duplicating code files for each domain!)

Thank you!

Back