• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Empty message-Window with updated rkhunter

Thomas Wilhelmi

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I just installed a new System with Ubuntu 14.04 TLS and Plesk 12.5.

I upgraded the embedded rkhunter from 1.3.something to 1.4.2 following this guide:

http://talk.plesk.com/threads/rkhunter-config-problem.324891/

It works well and the ispection seems to run. But as soon as it is finished I get in the Plesk-Panel an empty window with the message that the check never started.

If I press "Update" during the scan I can see the Messages from the logfile in the window.

What do I have to configure that the Messages appear here in the window?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

Hi, it's me. Again.

I tried a bit more and found some interesting things in the genetrated HTML Code. The complete log is contained in the Code but not displayed. The Message that the Check is never run is displayed instead. (Here in German).

HTML:
<div class="formArea">
    <fieldset>
        <legend>Prüfstatus</legend>
        <table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
            <tr><td><div style='margin: 10px 0;'>Die Prüfung wurde nie gestartet.</div>

<tr>
                <table style='visibility: hidden; display: none;' width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                    <tr><td>Prüfprotokoll:</td>
                    <tr><td><div style="border:solid 1px black; padding: 5px;"><pre class="code">[ Rootkit Hunter version 1.4.2 ]

Checking rkhunter data files...
  Checking file mirrors.dat                                  [ No update ]
  Checking file programs_bad.dat                             [ No update ]
  Checking file backdoorports.dat                            [ No update ]

What is the issue that the protocol is hidden after the scan is finished?

During the scan the code Looks like that:

HTML:
<div class="formArea">
    <fieldset>
        <legend>Prüfstatus</legend>
        <table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
            <tr><td><div>Sicherheitsprüfung läuft. Verbleibende Zeit: 30 Minuten.</div>
<table class='formFields' cellspacing='0' width='100%'><tr><td class='name'>Fortschritt<td width='40'><div class='number'>0%</div><td width='200'><DIV class="gaugeWrapper f-1" title="0% verwendet, 100% frei"><DIV class="gaugeContainer"><DIV class="gaugeFilled" style="width: 0%;"><I class="d1"></I><I class="d2"></I><I class="d3"></I><I class="d4"></I><I class="d5"></I><I class="d6"></I><I class="d7"></I><I class="d8"></I><I class="d9"></I></DIV></DIV></DIV><td/></table>

<tr>
                <table style='' width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
                    <tr><td>Prüfprotokoll:</td>
                    <tr><td><div style="border:solid 1px black; padding: 5px;"><pre class="code">[ Rootkit Hunter version 1.4.2 ]

Checking rkhunter data files...
  Checking file mirrors.dat                                  [ No update ]
  Checking file programs_bad.dat                             [ No update ]
  Checking file backdoorports.dat                            [ No update ]

Please any suggestions!?

P.S.: In the mail wich is send in case of a warning the Logfile is also not appended. And both files are generated and have the same permissions as in the old System with rkhunter 1.3 where it is working.

Last edited:
Hello Thomas,
I like to help but I still don't understand what the problem is ..

Oh, okay and thx to get Attention :)

As I mentioned I uodated rkhunter to the current Version. And if I start the scan from the Plesk-Panel it first Looks okay and the start of the Logfile is displayed as usual:RKHunter_1.PNG

But when the scan is finished the window Looks like this:

RKHunter_2.PNG

That means that the logfile is not displayed. It is hidden in the HTML-Code as shown above. And the Mail wich is sent by rkhunter doesn't contain the logfile as well.

Plese tell me if it's not enough.

Best regards.

Thomas,

The upgrade instructions you followed are not plesk recommended, which is why am thinking something went wrong with the paths plesk uses to report results and etc...

rkhunter is a very simple software to install from Shell (can take less than a minute), If I were you I would do this and run it directly from Shell and leave plesk's version alone just to avoid "un-necessary pressures"..

The time it will take you to troubleshoot this, is NOT worth compared to the 5 minutes it would take you running the most recent versions of it through shell ..(Just my thoughts)

Hi Abdi,

I nearly agree with you. But the paths could not be totally wrog because the logfile is shown during the process. Only when it's finished the Content of the logfile is hidden even if it's completly availble in the HTML of the generated page. My thought is that there is a Validation in the HTML-Generation process wich is asking for the rkhunter Version-number or something else.

The generated Output is in the same place and with the same Name as in the old Version.

Back