• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue FTP broken?

Scared Donut

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.59.2
Hi all,

I am having some weird issues with FTP. Every 2k -4k files the FTP stops working and I get the following error in Filezilla:

Error: Connection closed by server
Error: File transfer failed
Error: File transfer aborted by user
Error: File transfer aborted by user

The only way for me to fix this issue is to run service xinetd restart in console.

There are a couple of errors in /var/log/secure

Apr 7 23:37:30 ns514231 proftpd[48892]: pam_env(proftpd:setcred): Unable to open config file: /etc/security/pam_env.conf: No such file or directory
Apr 7 23:37:30 ns514231 proftpd[48892]: pam_systemd(proftpd:session): Failed to connect to system bus: No such file or directory

The file /etc/security/pam_env.conf does exist so I am not sure while its unable to open it. owner is root:root and the file attribute is 644

I made no changes (plesk updates by itself so not sure if there was a recent update). Restarting the machine did not work.

I'd appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks!

I do have the same issue here, did u upgrade from centos to almalinux also or do you also have it on fresh installs?

I'm going to bump this thread and add that this has started to happen with large file uploads but exact date when it started isn't clear. It's present on AlmaLinux 8/9 and CentOS 7.

Did not fix it for me neither.
All what i have tested:
- Checking selinux but thats in permissive
- Its only for sftp connections, the none secure works fine but we are forcing sftp only.
- We are running Imunify360, disabling does not do anything.

Going to test it on other servers. So far its only on Almalinux after upgrade from Centos.

So it's not a port issue as we've disabled iptables and border firewall traffic restrictions. Hopefully this thread gets the attention of a Plesk staff member!

Back