• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

FTP Login error 530 after install

Ulrik_Christensen1

New Pleskian
Hi

I just finished installing Plesk Panel 12. I seems like that everything is working as it should, except for FTP. I am not able to login with any FTP accounts.

Am i the only one seeing this issue?

Best Regards
Ulrik Christensen

Hi Ulrik_Christensen1,

to investigate issues, it is always great to add some log - entries, so that people willing to help don't have to guess and could provide suggestions and work-around more specific.

Are you probably trying to login to your FTP - server with the "root" credentials? This option is disabled by default, for security reasons. If you would like to login as root, please use a SFTP - client, which may connect over ssh.

Hi UFHH01

I'm not using root and i am well aware not to use root as FTP user.

I am using a user called revofemme.com and i get this in the secure log when i try to log in.

Nov 9 02:17:56 web01 proftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_stack.so): /lib64/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Nov 9 02:17:56 web01 proftpd: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_stack.so
Nov 9 02:17:56 web01 proftpd[28250]: 127.0.0.1 (MY_IP[MY_IP]) - USER revofemme.com (Login failed): No such user found

I guess this is why it doesn't work. I'm just not sure how to fix it.

Best regards,
Ulrik Christensen

Hi again

I tried that and it didn't get me anywhere. The directories match and i tried to run chmod on the directory with no luck.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards,
Ulrik Christensen

The article is not really clear, when it comes to the permission seetings. The correct permissions would be:

/var/www/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN.COM

Grouprights: psaserv
Owner: globaldomainuser

Folders and Files inside the httpdocs should have these permissions:

/var/www/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN.COM/httpdocs/*

Grouprights: psacln
Owner: globaldomainuser

You could as well create another FTP - user and check, if this user is able to login: Start > Abonnements > YOURDOMAIN.COM > Websites & Domains > FTP - Accounts

Plesk has as well the option to correct permission seetings with the command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/repair --restore-vhosts-permissions

Another solution might be to correct configurations and settings, with the Plesk bootstrapper:

/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

Hi

It's all been tried. Nothing helps.

One of the lines in /var/log/secure says:

proftpd: pam_listfile(proftpd:auth): Couldn't open /etc/ftpusers

And the file does not exist. If i create the file, nothing happens with it when i create new FTP users. I wonder if the problem might be because of that.

/Ulrik

Seems like your installation has some missing things...

You could try to remove the component "proftpd" with the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --remove-component proftpd

and afterwards, please add the component again with:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component proftpd

You now have to make sure, that Plesk adds the already existing users in the psa - database to the system configurations and this could be easily done, by just changing the passwords for the specific users over your Plesk Control Panel.

If you still experience issues/problems please provide again the depending log - entries, so that it is easier to suggest something.

GOT IT!!!

Here is the thing. After installing CentOS. Do NOT run yum update. Install plesk panel first and then update CentOS.

I'm not sure what goes wrong, but this works for me.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Ulrik Christensen

Heya,
i tried what you said because i had the same problem. Unfortunately there is now the big problem that plesk asks for a Login on phpmyadmin for each database. When i create a new one it does not ask for a password. But the old existing databases are not accessbile anymore because nobody knows that password.

Stoney

Hi stonegate,

did you think of the possibilty to login to phpMyAdmin over "Tools & Settings > Database Servers" ( click on the icon
71942.gif
to login as admin/root ) and change the password for the databases, where you don't know the passwords? In addition, you can as well then change the passwords again over the Plesk Control Panel for each specific database, so that the correct passwordx for this databases are stored in Plesk as well.

If this doesn't work, you can always change database passwords manually, entering the mySQL-database over the command line ( as admin ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya,
yes this would be a plan - but i cannot change the passwords for hundreds of users and send them the new DB passwords by mail. Is there any other way to rewrite the old passwords or something like that ?

Edit: I just tried with a users password that i was told - it works when i enter the correct password.

The issue is, that plesk brings that popup asking for a password, when it did not ask for a password before (from inside the CP). So obviously plesk is somehow holding a table of passwords and databasenames for users and that table was somehow cleared by de-installing proFTPD (which removed a lot of stuff)

Stoney

Sorry stonegate,

but installing and/or removing proFTPD does not change or even remove a stored database password. There must be another issue, so I would suggest, that you open another thread with this issue and explain WHAT you did and HOW, to investigate your issue. Include some log - files as well, to make it easier for investigations.

Back