• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How To Update DNS Template to remove the .<domain>

ThatOkeAlen

New Pleskian
Good Day,

I'm very new to Plesk, and I have one issue that I cannot seem to get passed.

I want to use the Panel as a Master DNS Server.

1: Obtain two Nameservers. ns1.maindomain.com, ns2.maindomain.com. (Completed)
2: Glue the Nameservers to the server's IP addresses. 1.1.1.1 -> ns1.maindomain.com / 2.2.2.2 -> ns2.maindomain.com (Completed)
3: Successully register domain and make sure it's pointing to the correct server. (Completed)
4: Register new domain (client.com) to server using ns1.maindomain.com & ns2.maindomain.com as it's nameservers. (Problem)

Reason: Can't edit the template correctly due to a suffix .<domain> that I cannot get rid of.

In order for me to use (ns1.maindomain.com) and (ns2.maindomain.com) as the namerservers for client.com, I'll need to be able to edit those fields entirely. I don't want Plesk to append the client's domain name to the NS record.

This may be a very simple thing to remove, but I give up.

Please Help! :(

Not to be rude, but the lack of assistance pertaining to my query is concerning. I have tried what I can without messing with Plesk manually, which could very well make things worse.
If the above cannot be achieved, then simply state so. This thread has over a hundred views, and not a single reply. Am I misusing the Plesk forum? Do I post my questions elsewhere?

This is what is causing emails to go to SPAM folder. We are not able to set the correct A record or PTR record for our DNS records because of this. My FQDN is server.domain1.com and Therefore, in domain2.com I am unable to configure the correct A record and the correct PTR record, because I can not enter server.domain1.com the <domain> autofills domain2.com and that is causing my emails to appear as if they do not have the correct setup in my DNS. I bet a lot of people have issues with their Plesk EMails going to SPAM folders. What is the fix for this. Believe me, I have went through everything here, and I have been on Reddit. I have tracked it down to this issue. If anyone else has some input, please let me know.

This is what is causing emails to go to SPAM folder.
???
We are not able to set the correct A record or PTR record for our DNS records because of this.
A PTR record needs to be set for the routing at your data center. It is not set on the server.
And what do you mean by not being able to set a correct A record? That is automatically set by the selection of the IP address(es) you use for the website in "Hosting Settings".
I bet a lot of people have issues with their Plesk EMails going to SPAM folders.
Lost that bet.
Sure, if you don't have a valid PTR set at your data center that points to the hostname of your server, your emails will likely go into spam. But this is not a Plesk issue.

???

A PTR record needs to be set for the routing at your data center. It is not set on the server.
And what do you mean by not being able to set a correct A record? That is automatically set by the selection of the IP address(es) you use for the website in "Hosting Settings".

Lost that bet.
Sure, if you don't have a valid PTR set at your data center that points to the hostname of your server, your emails will likely go into spam. But this is not a Plesk issue.
Oh, its a plesk issue. I have a valid PTR at my Data Center, and I can tell you right now, it is a Plesk issue. I have been looking into this for over a month. There is no way to set a valid PTR with plesk. Plus, you are limited, because of the auto fill domain <domain> keeps me from using a different domain to fix the issue, Plesk is horrible for email. Come on man. Read your own boards. I have and I keep seeing the same issue. With no fix. Again, I have a valid PTR with my Datacenter. Yet, all my emails still go to spam. There is no way to even set an A record for the server name. Which throws flags too.
Example so you understand what I mean
server.domain1.com (server name)
domain2.com
In domain2.com dns settings, I can not create a PRT for server.domain1.com. For that matter, I can not do it for any other added domain either. There is no way. It would look like this in the DNS
A Record
server.domain1.com.domain2.com

As I said, I have a RDNS set with the data center I use.

I love everything else about plesk, but the email is aweful. I should not have had to spend the last few months, trying to figure out how to keep my emails from going to the spam folders. You can blame whatever you like. The proof is in the pudding. Just read all the other messages talking about this same issue. Do not take up for something that is jacked-up. Try to find a fix for it, and move on.

Oh, its a plesk issue. I have a valid PTR at my Data Center, and I can tell you right now, it is a Plesk issue. I have been looking into this for over a month. There is no way to set a valid PTR with plesk. Plus, you are limited, because of the auto fill domain <domain> keeps me from using a different domain to fix the issue, Plesk is horrible for email. Come on man. Read your own boards. I have and I keep seeing the same issue. With no fix. Again, I have a valid PTR with my Datacenter. Yet, all my emails still go to spam. There is no way to even set an A record for the server name. Which throws flags too.
Example so you understand what I mean
server.domain1.com (server name)
domain2.com
In domain2.com dns settings, I can not create a PRT for server.domain1.com. For that matter, I can not do it for any other added domain either. There is no way. It would look like this in the DNS
A Record
server.domain1.com.domain2.com

As I said, I have a RDNS set with the data center I use.

I love everything else about plesk, but the email is aweful. I should not have had to spend the last few months, trying to figure out how to keep my emails from going to the spam folders. You can blame whatever you like. The proof is in the pudding. Just read all the other messages talking about this same issue. Do not take up for something that is jacked-up. Try to find a fix for it, and move on.
I may not explain myself correctly. Not sure. I use Plesk DNS, because I am running on a dedicated server, and I just want to manage my own DNS. I have 2 License, and have had them for over a year now, so I am a Plesk users. And, I will keep being a Plesk user, because other then the email, I love Plesk. So, dont take what I say, the wrong way. Its just frustrating, and I have followed everything available, to attempt an fix it. I am just sharing what I feel could be the reason this happens to other, as well. You have got to be a lot smarter then me at this stuff. So, just use my input, to see if it helps make the software better. Cause, like I said, other then the email, Plesk is a powerful tool, that saves me lots of time.
I'll get some screen shots, and try to explain myself better, so that maybe you can see something I might be doing wrong. I can not set a PTR with my data center. I can set the RDNS (reverse dns), which is the same thing. Correct? This still made it hard, because the domain I was trying to fix the email for, was not the domain the server is named after. However, I changed the server name to that domain, and it may have fixed the issue. Though, it messed it up for the other domains.

You only need one single PTR record for the hostname. Nothing else. It's only about resolving an IP address to a valid, accessible hostname from where your mail is sent.

Back