• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk unable to send email notifications

NeoTrafy

New Pleskian
Hello and thank you in advance,

My Plesk Panel stopped to send notifications a while ago, I don't receive mails when the backup are done, the clients can't receive their passwords if they need to reset...

The mails are not being forwarded when they configure it in the panel (I receive a mail in [email protected] and I want it forwarded automatically to [email protected] or wherever).

I don't see nothing about the plesk panel mail in the postfix log and I don't know what else to check.

Jorge Ortiz.

Hello Jorge,
Do you get any email stuck in the queue when you run:
Code:
mailq
You can also access the queue right from your Panel, Tools & Settings -> Mail server -> Queue

I already had that line in the main.cf and the file is physical (not a link as said in that post).

It's just weird.

Hello Neo,
If you like I can check it out for you (its FREE)...Please PM me your server details.

Hello Neo,
After a deep investigation to the email notification problem, these are my findings ...

1. For starters sendmail was messed up. Apparently you had replaced the sendmail bin with a very well common internet script

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# use strict;
use Env;
my $date = `date`;
chomp $date;
open (INFO, ">>/var/log/formmail.log") || die "Failed to open file ::$!";
my $uid = $>;
my @info = getpwuid($uid);
if($REMOTE_ADDR) { print INFO "$date - $REMOTE_ADDR ran $SCRIPT_NAME at $SERVER_NAME \n";  }
else { print INFO "$date - $PWD - @info\n"; }
#my $mailprog = '/var/qmail/bin/sendmail';
# For postfix please replace the above with the below, by commenting the above
my $mailprog = '/var/sbin/sendmail.postfix';
foreach (@ARGV) {$arg="$arg" . " $_"; }
open (MAIL,"|$mailprog $arg") || die "cannot open $mailprog: $!\n";
while (<STDIN> ) { print MAIL; }
close (INFO);
close (MAIL);

Which in my view is no-longer necessary since PHP has the capacity to log every email sent through its classic mail function (though highly recommended settings on a server would be to disable that function)

I did move that script to /jfiles/ should you want to re-use it again and reset-up the right symbolic links for the sendmail bin...
Now, with all the above emails are correctly routed to your sendmail as you can see from the logs below:

Code:
[...]
Feb  5 12:32:03 sv01 postfix/pipe[9179]: 5745B69160AD: to=<neoit@n***t.es>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.23, delays=0.14/0/0/0.08, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)
Feb  5 12:32:03 sv01 postfix/qmgr[7097]: 5745B69160AD: removed
Feb  5 12:32:03 sv01 postfix/qmgr[7097]: 7036B69160A7: from=<[email protected]***.es>, size=860, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
[...]

However, there is another problem on the server. The problem is that email actually can't be sent out since PORT 25 is blocked as you can see from the logs below
Code:
[...]
Feb  5 12:32:55 sv01 postfix/smtp[9190]: connect to mail.jolis.net[85.25.246.132]:25: Connection timed out
Feb  5 12:32:55 sv01 postfix/smtp[9190]: 7CA7369160AF: to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=402, delays=372/0.02/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mail.jolis.net[85.25.246.132]:25: Connection timed out)
Feb  5 12:33:04 sv01 postfix/smtp[9184]: connect to mta5.am0.yahoodns.net[98.138.112.38]:25: Connection timed out
[...]
Postfix SMTP is well attached the respective port
Code:
[root@sv01 sbin]# lsof -i tcp:25
COMMAND  PID  USER  FD  TYPE  DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
master  9670  root  12u  IPv4 187156138  0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
master  9670  root  13u  IPv6 187156140  0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
smtpd  12780 postfix  6u  IPv4 187156138  0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
smtpd  12780 postfix  7u  IPv6 187156140  0t0  TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)

I could still dig deeper to why your server can't telnet outside of it on port 25 through it can be access from the outside world on port 25.
I did temporarily disable any firewall on it (IPtables) hoping the port was blocked, but that didn't help ..I have re-enabled IP tables again.

Is there a possibility that your ISP / Host has blocked your outbound traffic on port 25? Ie since I can telnet out on any other ports eg 8080 except 25?

Waiting for your confirmation on this ...

Last edited:
Hello Abdi and thanks again about your time,

I don't think the port 25 is blocked, it's a OVH server and they don't block any port by default. I checked the manager to see if any of the IP were blocked and all of them were okey.

I'll take care about the problem of the port on my own, thanks anyway.

Great job on everything else Abdi.

Hello,

I am facing the same issue in Plesk panel I have Plesk in windows server 2008. Please provide me a solution how to start a Plesk mail notification.

Thanks in advance.

Back