• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Resolved PTR DNS record and email going in to SPAM (can't wrap my head around it)

seqoi

Regular Pleskian
Hello guys. I'll cut it straight to the point.

I SIMPLY DON'T UNDERSTAND PTR. Probably it's language thing (not native english speaker) but no matter which tutorial i see i am getting lost by the end of it. And yes i found few threads with sameish subject here but it appear that i don't have deep problems like in these threads just wrong configuration which i don't know how to set up. So i decided to post it here with all my settings and (fictional) IP address and (fictional) domain so someone could possibly help me because that's it i lost any hope.

So recently i decided to go here and on various other websites: Newsletters spam test by mail-tester.com and for example mail-tester.com gives me 10 out of 10 score but last thing i can't resolve. And my emails are going in to SPAM at gmail and especially hotmail/yahoo.

This is description of error:

Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

Your IP address 55.33.212.10 is associated with the domain static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from xcxcxcxc.com

You may want to publish a pointer (PTR type) DNS record with a value of xcxcxcxc.com or use static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de as hostname in your mail software

Here are the tested values for this check:

• IP: 55.33.212.10
    • HELO: xcxcxcxc.com
    • rDNS: static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de
I am using Hetzner VPS and CloudNS.

Here is screenshot from Hetzner panel (attachment) -

do i need to add something to Hetzner? As you can see (i pointed with arrow) i can add another IP address there.

hetzner-panel.jpg

And here is screenshot at CloudNS from my current DNS zone for that domain - do i need to add something here? Some record?

dns_zone.jpg

And here is my reverse zone i created at CloudNS and i added my domain but i am still getting same error by SPAM testers

reverse_zone.jpg

Is my reverse zone added wrongly? Maybe PTR record need to be changed?

Can anyone provide any insight please i am desperate - trying to solve this for almost two weeks..

Last edited:
Hi seqoi,

neither your provided IP ( 55.33.212.10 ), nor the domain ( xcxcxcxc.com ), nor your rDNS for your IP ( static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de ) resolve anywhere, which makes it impossible to investigate misconfigurations.

As you wrote, that you are using "Hetzner", I will point you to the related documentation, how to add your additional IP at your server:

If you desire help here, don't hesitate to contact the friendly Hetzner Support. :)

Yeah i provided fictional domain and names (it is stated in original thread).

Thanks anyway. All it has needed to be done was to in Hetzner panel, where they have reverse DNS, i needed to put in xcxcxcxc.com . Waited a bit for propagation and then all worked out.

Thanks anyway

Back