• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Security Concerns

Pentarou

Basic Pleskian
Hi everyone,

As I review my Plesk logs, I am increasingly concerned about the security of my server. I have updated Plesk to the latest version, enabled MFA, and utilize a private key for SSH login. Additionally, I employ an external firewall and have ensured that services such as the database cannot be accessed from outside sources.

However, my logs are increasingly displaying suspicious entries, such as instances where my database username is being used to log in to the mail server. I'm unsure where this information was obtained. Furthermore, I have observed entries like the one below, which correspond to a domain that I have not registered or associated with.

2024-05-10 07:12:53WARNINGpostfix/smtpd [3861286]warning: hostname documents-elope.maximumglitter.com does not resolve to address 193.37.41.104

There are many more strange logs that indicates an attack, should I be worried?

2024-05-10 07:12:53WARNINGpostfix/smtpd [3861286]warning: hostname documents-elope.maximumglitter.com does not resolve to address 193.37.41.104
This doesn't necessarily has to mean your server is being attacked. I could be that some else has made a mistake in configuring their DNS and accidentally used your servers IP. However, sadly, every server is constantly being probed for weaknesses, mostly by bots. Nothing to worry about too much. It does not mean your server is deliberately being 'targeted'.

Back