• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

(urgent) blocked admin account

bob147

New Pleskian
hi, i have 10 domain licence. I added 11th domain and now i can't access admin panel i see only warning about invalid licence, how can i remove one domain manually? Thank you

ok solved, if anyone interested just logged into vps as root, logged into database and deleted the record from domains table

# plesk db
select * from domains;
delete from domains where id='domain id';

Hello bob147,

Can you please advise how you were able to create the eleventh domain on your server? I just ran some tests and was unable to exceed the number of domains allowed by the license - as it should be. If there is a way to get around the limitation (and end up in the situation you described), we need to get it patched.

Actually this has happened before with me too :)
And there are a few more threads I have helped users here with this very situation ...

I just don't remember how I can reproduce it ..
However, the solution was to delete the domain name through SHELL using the plesk domain tool ...

Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/domain --help

Hello bob147,

Can you please advise how you were able to create the eleventh domain on your server? I just ran some tests and was unable to exceed the number of domains allowed by the license - as it should be. If there is a way to get around the limitation (and end up in the situation you described), we need to get it patched.

i added new domain in admin panel normally as other domains before, i just did not get the warning about exceeded domains before i could add the 11th domain.
hosting info: ovh ssd vps, licence renews automatically on monthly basis after payment

i added new domain in admin panel normally as other domains before
Did you create the domain via the Plesk interface, command line, or the API? And what is the latest Plesk update you have installed?

Did you create the domain via the Plesk interface, command line, or the API? And what is the latest Plesk update you have installed?
I did this too from the interface ...

***It must be a hidden bug that would require different possibilities and options to reproduce it ...

Hmm. Strange. I have tried to reproduce this problem. I have created 10 domains. After that I can't create new domain because there is no button "Add new domain" and if I try create new subscription I see red warning "Error: There are no available resources of this type (domains) left. Requested: 1; available: 0." and can't create subscription.
Please tell me where you have found ability for creation new domain through Plesk UI if you have already 10 domains and limited license with 10 domains?

Hmm. Strange. I have tried to reproduce this problem. I have created 10 domains. After that I can't create new domain because there is no button "Add new domain" and if I try create new subscription I see red warning "Error: There are no available resources of this type (domains) left. Requested: 1; available: 0." and can't create subscription.
Please tell me where you have found ability for creation new domain through Plesk UI if you have already 10 domains and limited license with 10 domains?
ok i reproduced it, just clicked on add new domain, option separated webspace, proceeded and got this:

Internal error.
Error (1030): The license key is invalid. In order to use Plesk, please obtain and install a new valid license key. The amount of currently used resources overrides the limits defined by your license. The number of websites hosted on the server exceeds the limits defined by your license. You have 11 sites hosted; your license allows hosting only 10 sites.

and now after logging into the plesk interface i get only this error:

Error: The license key is invalid. In order to use Plesk, please obtain and install a new valid license key.
The amount of currently used resources overrides the limits defined by your license.
The number of websites hosted on the server exceeds the limits defined by your license. You have 11 sites hosted; your license allows hosting only 10 sites.

now i can't access anything only i see is license information and only have option to logout.

You can't see this button when you have 10 domains already and 10 domains limited license. Please tell me how you created 11th domain?
like i just described i can see that button and i have 10 domains already, if i couldn't i would not get into this issue.
can be the reason that the first domain i've added was the vps111111.ovh.net, the hostname of server?

can be the reason that the first domain i've added was the vps111111.ovh.net, the hostname of server?
I think it doesn't matter. If you have exactly 10 domains in Domains menu - Plesk will not give you create a new one.

Hello bob147, abdi, everyone,

I would like to state once again that the behavior reported in this thread is abnormal. Unfortunately, I was unable to confirm it in the lab - I tried adding the eleventh domain via the Plesk interface and was blocked by a Plesk error message. The domain was not added, and I did not lose access to Plesk.

Without a reliably reproducible case, it is hard to tell what is the root cause here. I can offer some general advice that will serve you well should you ever encounter something out of the ordinary:
  • Keep your Plesk up-to-date. We release updates with bugfixes on a regular basis - use them.
  • If you encounter an issue you believe to be caused by a bug, contact Plesk support. Our engineers will analyze the situation and compile a report for developers to look at, if necessary. This way, we will be able to release a bugfix and make sure that all Plesk users can benefit from it.

i just found that the last domain (the 11th) i added (then i removed one old one to have 10 again) is not listed in mail settings, i'm not able to activate and add mailboxes for that domain, how to fix it without removing the domain and adding again?

Hello bob147, abdi, everyone,

I would like to state once again that the behavior reported in this thread is abnormal. Unfortunately, I was unable to confirm it in the lab - I tried adding the eleventh domain via the Plesk interface and was blocked by a Plesk error message. The domain was not added, and I did not lose access to Plesk.

Without a reliably reproducible case, it is hard to tell what is the root cause here. I can offer some general advice that will serve you well should you ever encounter something out of the ordinary:
  • Keep your Plesk up-to-date. We release updates with bugfixes on a regular basis - use them.
  • If you encounter an issue you believe to be caused by a bug, contact Plesk support. Our engineers will analyze the situation and compile a report for developers to look at, if necessary. This way, we will be able to release a bugfix and make sure that all Plesk users can benefit from it.

@modronmarch,

Nice reactions from your side, by the way.

However, the issues seems to be persisting, when having a look at bob´s posts, certainly his last posts.

Sure, we can all state that we have encountered this and various other license related issues: double licenses, license not properly active after migration, hacks to create licenses for a short time period and re-create them time after time (in order to bypass license checks) and even (limited) usage of one license on multiple servers.

But do we really have to discuss that in the open?

Should not be considered wise, since this is actually "opening up the licensing model for malicious actions".

Moreover, the issue is or can be related to another (major) security issue.

And reporting the bug, proposing solution or even presenting a solution to Plesk support?

Yes, been there, done that, no result.

As for now, I admire the nature of your reactions and the speed of those reactions, but with respect to the contents.........I am in doubt.

Seems to be wise to remove a topic thread in which the possibility of exceeding the domain limit of a license is discussed.

In my humble opinion, the proper suggestion would be: re-investigate the issue.

Regards....

Back