• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Resolved Web Application Firewall crash after Upgrade from 12.5.30 to Onyx

fabian koeppel

Basic Pleskian
Hello

I have Update my Server from Plesk 12.5.30 to Onyx and from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04
now i have the Problem when i have the Web Apllication Firewall ON so every morning ( all Day ) al Websites have the "Bad Gatteway 503 Error" Wehn i make OFF the Web Apllication Firewall All Websites run. I can Web Apllication Firewall OF and ON. now all websites Work again for 1 Day. On morning all websites again "Bad Gateway 503 Error"

fail2ban is not the Problem. I have this ON. And never ip is in Bann list. And i have also the IP from the server in whiteliste from fail2ban. The Problem is the Web Apllication Firewall. On Plesk 12.5.30 works Web Apllication Firewall perfect. Ond Onyx i have crash all day.

Hi fabian koeppel,

sorry, but your conclusion/investigation, that the "Web Application Firewall crashes" is just wrong.

As you might know, the "Web Application Firewall" is an apache - module ( ModSecurity ), so each time you "switch it on" or "switch it off", your apache - webserver will restart with the new configuration ( module on / module off ). With this information, you should now investigate the APACHE - log for errors/issues/problems and due to the fact that you state "every morning", it leads us to a combination of apache and your daily logrotation, where the root cause might be. ;)

Now that you are closer to a possible root cause, you should consider to use the => SEARCH option ( at the forum and at the => Plesk Knowledge-Base ) and you will be surprised, that your described issue, in combination with apache and logrotation has been discussed quite a few times at Plesk forum threads ( the today search result amount is 130 ) and Plesk even provides a suggestion in a depending KB - article, how you could solve such an issue.

oh thank you. i have read https://kb.plesk.com/128431 and i have absolut the same logs entries. /var/log/apache2/error.log.1 ( bevor apache make e new file ( logrotation) i have also

[timestamp] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 20056:tid 140176783820672] AH00493: SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
[timestamp] [core:notice] [pid 20056] AH00060: seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process

on /var/log/apache2/error.log i do not have the entrie. Only on /var/log/apache2/error.log.1 bevor make a new log file. and crash timestamp is identical the error.log entrie.

I have make the following Resolutions As described in the article

1. mpm_event to mpm_prefork
2. Apache restart interval' to 60 seconds
3. Change "/etc/init.d/apache2 reload" to "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Whether problem solved, I'll see in about 24 hours. I will report here.

thanks.

ah sorry i have not see the Point 4 whit /etc/logrotate.d/mod_security" now i have also change /etc/logrotate.d/mod_security" from
/etc/init.d/apache2 reload to
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

thanks

I'll see in about 24 hours. I will report here.

Problem is fixed. Thank you UFHH01. Your solution has fixed it.

Here again summarized.

1. mpm_event to mpm_prefork ( in Plesk Webgui Home > Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server Settings )
2. Apache restart interval' to 60 seconds ( In Plesk Webgui Home > Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server Settings )
3. In /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 Change: "/etc/init.d/apache2 reload" to "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
4. In /etc/logrotate.d/mod_security change: /etc/init.d/apache2 reload to /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Back