• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Issue How does Plesk Identify the application instance for Backup Encryption

questist

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 Update 4
I want to backup my files over remote connection via OneDrive. I see that the backup security options allow either a password protected backup or a Plesk Encryption Key Backup. However, I am unfamiliar with the way Plesk identifies particular plesk installations. Does it use the license key to identify the plesk instance or some other way. I am curious because the main concern is securing the backups as well as possible in remote storage.
a) I feel like the plesk encryption would be better because if someone does get a hold of the files it can only be reinstalled in my plesk app
b) I am a little worried if I re-install plesk from a server disk image in case of hacking or catastrophic failure that the backups will no longer work.
c) Also, I am just curious for my own enlightenment, are there any other issues I should be aware of for remote backups

Thanks in advance

Do not use the automated encryption "Plesk's encryption key". Instead set a password on the backup:

1703061184103.png

If you use "plesk's encryption key", to restore the backup you will be forced to use the same hardware, which will be impossible and won't work if it is a catastrophic issue -or p.e. need a new bigger disk - and need to change hardware; I learned the hard way...

Back