• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

*solved* MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.1 on Windows Plesk "system error 5"

F

firefoxchris

Hello all,

I encountered a problem after installing MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.1 on my Plesk 9.2 installation.

From ASP Scripts (and probably others run by the IIS user), I was receiving the following error when trying to connect to the database using the newer driver..

Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5 (MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver)

After a bit of digging, I found that Error 5 is an "Access Denied" error, not to the database but to the driver DLL files. I installed Process Monitor, filtered to path containing "MySQL" and ran a script again.

I found entried for ACCESS DENIED to C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.1\myodbc5.dll. After including the colum for username, it appeared the script was running as the user iwam_plesk(default), however further investigation showed it was impersonating as the IUSR_PLESKSITEUSERNAME user.

I gave the Plesk group psacln read/execute access to the C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.1 folder and my site worked!

It took me ages to figure it our so thought it was worth posting to save time of anyone having a similar problem.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this solution. If you don't mind, I could transfer it Workarounds topic? Much more people will see it there.

By all means, the more people that see it the better :).

Hi guys,
Just a comment to strengthen the forum.
This case happened to me now, because of a version update from 18.0.27 to 18.0.53.

The psacln group, was if, reading/executing the folder C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.3. after the correction everything returned to normal.

Thanks a lot.

Back