• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Two PHP versions linux Plesk HOWTO

alright - first I see is that "/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper" got the wrong user/group ...
And what user/group does this file have? --> "/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper" <-- guess it's root:root too as the main directory?

alright - first I see is that "/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper" got the wrong user/group ...
And what user/group does this file have? --> "/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper" <-- guess it's root:root too as the main directory?

I did a chown yesterday

-r-x------ 1 domainuser psaserv 161 Jan 14 20:26 /var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper

[root@vps-1121582-14368 ~]# ll -a /var/www/vhosts/domain.org
total 80
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 ..
drwxr-x--- 5 domainuser psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:19 anon_ftp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 bin
drwxr-x--- 4 domainuser psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:24 cgi-bin
drwxr-x--- 2 root psaserv 4096 Jan 14 21:02 conf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 dev
drwxr-xr-x 2 root psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:19 error_docs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 etc
drwxr-x--- 7 domainuser psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:37 httpdocs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 lib64
drwxr-x--- 2 root psaserv 4096 Jan 14 21:02 pd
drwx------ 2 domainuser root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 private
dr-xr-x--- 7 domainuser psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:19 statistics
drwxr-xr-x 2 root psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:19 subdomains
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 usr
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 14 20:19 var
drwxr-xr-x 2 root psaserv 4096 Jan 14 20:19 web_users

/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper and /var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper got right user/group now?

ok - what error you excactly get?
php cgi is working correct?

btw) .cgi_wrapper got wrong group ... I would suggest to re-read the how-to and follow every step EXACTLY!

/var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper and /var/www/vhosts/domain.org/cgi-bin/.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper got right user/group now?

ok - what error you excactly get?
php cgi is working correct?

# ./php-cgi -v
PHP 5.2.17 (cgi-fcgi) (built: Jan 12 2013 09:52:58)
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies

error is this

[Sat Jan 12 15:27:05 2013] [warn] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
[Sat Jan 12 15:27:05 2013] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: index.php

btw) .cgi_wrapper got wrong group ... I would suggest to re-read the how-to and follow every step EXACTLY!

i followed this

# chown domainuser:psaserv .cgi_wrapper -R

when I do this now

# chown domainuser:psacln .cgi_wrapper -R
chown: changing ownership of `.cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `.cgi_wrapper': Operation not permitted

and am logon as root

in the first posting in this Thread and in the KB it's clearly stated what you should do:

# cd /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/cgi-bin
# chmod 101 .cgi_wrapper
# chmod 500 .cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper
# chown domain.com:psacln .cgi_wrapper -R
# chattr -R +i .cgi_wrapper

now you can't change it because of the i attrib. - remove it first - then change user/group and set the i attr again.

But I would suggest that you start over from scratch ... and follow all steps EXCACTLY ...

chattr -R -i .cgi_wrapper

chattr +i makes a file immutable aka unchangeable, even by root.
It is part of the extended attributes of ext2-3-4, and highly useful.

The only thing that needs to be added to the guide for Plesk 10/11 is:
chown <user>:psaserv /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/cgi-bin

The following packages are required for compilation of the switches in this guide (only tested on CentOS 5.8):

yum install -y gcc gcc-c++ cpp kernel-headers.x86_64 libxml2-devel openssl-devel bzip2-devel libcurl-devel libjpeg-devel libpng-devel freetype-devel openldap-devel mysql-devel postgresql-devel aspell-devel net-snmp-devel libxslt-devel make libc-client-devel libicu-devel gmp-devel curl-devel libmcrypt-devel unixODBC-devel

but as futureweb stated before, if you don't know how to compile yourself, you're not going to get very far.

Last edited:
@IgorG: as StéphanS said - maybe you should update the KB Article to reflect this necessary change in Plesk 11 - already some ppl stumbled across this! ;-)
@Igor Smitran: maybe you could add a note to the inital posting too?

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

Do you mean mentioned chown command? Could you please clarify a little bit - as which point it should be added in KB?

The Problem is that with Plesk 11 the cgi-bin directory is owned by "psacln" and not "psaserv" (not sure why this change was done?!?!?)
But multiple PHP-Versions won't work if it's not psaserv ...

So I guess it should be added here:

# chgrp psaserv /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/cgi-bin
# cd /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/cgi-bin
# chmod 101 .cgi_wrapper
# chmod 500 .cgi_wrapper/.phpwrapper
# chown domain.com:psacln .cgi_wrapper -R
# chattr -R +i .cgi_wrapper

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

guess this should work! ;-)

But you also could just publish the "new version" with the chgrp ... in older Plesk Versions the Directory is already owned by psaserv - so if you execute this command nothing changes / nothing happens ... maybe a bit less confusing (as people often won't read exactly what's written in the KB and just blindly copy/paste every *command* they find ... ! ;-))

I can confirm that cgi-bin in users homedir on Plesk 10.2.0 is also owned by group psacln.
So this also needs a chgrp.

Edit: as suggested by futureweb, chgrp can be used on all Plesk 9+ installs.
For those that are already configured to have cgi-bin on psaserv group there will be no impact.
And it makes the guide more straightforward.

Also @IgorG can you ask the dev team why this is the only directory in the users homedir that is not owned by group psaserv?

Last edited:
Back