• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question Creation of a staging site

Feruz

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.60
Dear Madam, Sir,

I am speaking to you regarding the creation of a staging site to test the site before putting it into production.

Indeed, I read the information on the Plesk site, concerning clone and website copying and after reading what I understood to create the staging site first of all we must clone the site to create the database and then we must do website copying to copy the site files to link with the given database which was previously created by cloning.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I am not sure if I fully understand what your asking.

You can clone a website by manually copying a database and then copying the files to a different location. But if you use the Clone function from the Wordpress Toolkit, those steps are performed automatically.

If you are unsure about the process I suggest to make create a test domain, with a test website on your Plesk server and test the clone function. That way you'll experience what the clone function actually does.

Hello Kaspar,

Thanks for your answer.

In fact, I have already cloned my production site to a staging site using WP Toolkit, unfortunately I did not get the result I expected. Because, when I cloned my production site (example.com) to the staging site in subdomain (staging.example.com), the URL of my main domain (example.com) became (staging.example. com) and I don't understand why it became like that and what's more, I couldn't access my main site and at the same time the staging site and I had to restore my site with difficulty. Now I don't know what to do, because Plesk does not meet my expectations on this subject.

Could you help me create a staging site or explain how to create it please ?

Thanks for your reply.

Because, when I cloned my production site (example.com) to the staging site in subdomain (staging.example.com), the URL of my main domain (example.com) became (staging.example. com)

That is not normal behavior of the cloning function. Ive used this many times and it operates as expected (copies the site files and db to a new location and reconfigures wordpress accordingly)

I think you should reach out to Plesk support and get them to take a look.

Back