• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Something is blocking PayPal IPN requests

CHE

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello,

we use a plugin for WordPress that processes IPN requests from PayPal to enable the payment process.
Unfortunately, something is blocking these requests from PayPal, so the plugin doesn't work correctly.
Does anyone have experience with PayPal IPN and Plesk?
We use Plesk Obsidian 18.0.59 on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS.

I have already tried the following settings:
- Disabling Firewall
- Disabling Fail2Ban
- Disabling Nginx redirects

It is a dedicated root server from strato and the strange thing is, on my private virtual server with Ubuntu 20.04 also from strato it works without any problems.

Maybe anyone knows this problem and how to fix it.

Best regards

Lucas

Have you set up the IPN URL in PayPal?

I'm not sure if you can request the IPN from Paypal. IPN is send by the Paypal to the website.

Have you set up the IPN URL in PayPal?

I'm not sure if you can request the IPN from Paypal. IPN is send by the Paypal to the website.
No, it is all configured in the WordPress plugin and as i said, on another server it runs with the same code. It has to be a server or network problem.

What's logged to access_ssl_log and error_log when the IPN is sent?
There nothing about this in access_ssl_log, or error_log. It seems to be, that the request is never reaching the server. On the other server the POST request is logged in proxy_access_ssl_log as following:

173.0.80.116 - - [03/May/2024:10:24:05 +0200] "POST /index.php?rtec-listener=IPN HTTP/1.1" 200 5 "-" "PayPal IPN ( https://www.paypal.com/ipn )"

I've read something about that the connection for IPN has to be always over TLS Version 1.2. Could it be something to do with that? I don't really know how to check this.

Is the URL in Paypal configured correctly? They should show a log, too.
Yes, everything is correct. It will try to request 8 times and end up without any status code. Extremely strange.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-03 um 13.21.08.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-03 um 13.21.08.png
    277.4 KB · Views: 9
What's the output of
grep 173.0 /var/log/fail2ban.log
and
iptables --list -n | grep 173.0.
?

Did you verify that the URL resolves to the correct server?
Yes, i did. The URL is correct.

Isn't it the case that the request definitely have to be listed in the access log file when it arrived on the server? Independent of any apps and configurations on the server?
To me it looks like the problem is already in front of the server. I just opened a thread in the PayPal forum.

Yes, everything is correct. It will try to request 8 times and end up without any status code. Extremely strange.
On a browser, try to access the complete URL mentioned on the image you have provided then check the access log for this subscription.

Also you can use the website such as Postman to POST to this URL and see if there are any errors occurs.

Via browser the access log shows up the following:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-07 um 09.33.28.png

Via postman send as POST-request and with message in body it says this:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-07 um 09.31.42.png

And for comparison on the other server where it works:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-07 um 09.31.26.png

Back