• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Resolved connection webmail to mailserver fails

TauTaude

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.56 Update #3
I'm trying to set up webmail in one of my domains, but neither horde nor roundcobe works. Both tell me connection to webserver fails.
some facts: webmail.my.domain is secured with LetsEncrypt, the config of i.e. roundcube looks like this:

Code:
$config['imap_host'] = 'ssl://localhost:993';

// IMAP authentication method (DIGEST-MD5, CRAM-MD5, LOGIN, PLAIN or null).
// Use 'IMAP' to authenticate with IMAP LOGIN command.
// By default the most secure method (from supported) will be selected.
$config['imap_auth_type'] = 'PLAIN';

// IMAP socket context options
// See http://php.net/manual/en/context.ssl.php
// The example below enables server certificate validation
//$config['imap_conn_options'] = [
//  'ssl'         => [
//     'verify_peer'  => true,
//     'verify_depth' => 3,
//     'cafile'       => '/etc/openssl/certs/ca.crt',
//   ],
// ];
// Note: These can be also specified as an array of options indexed by hostname
$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
    'ssl'         => array(
        'verify_peer'  => false,
        'verify_peer_name' => false,
        'allow_self_signed' => true,
        'crypto_method'     => defined('STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT')
                                ? (STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLS_CLIENT
                                | @STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_1_CLIENT
                                | @STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT)
                                : STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_SSLv23_CLIENT,
    ),
);

any hints what/where to check?

time to edit expired ;) Here's a snippet from roundcube log:
Code:
[07-Nov-2023 17:51:15 UTC] PHP Warning:  stream_socket_client(): SSL: Connection reset by peer in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap_generic.php on line 1060
[07-Nov-2023 17:51:15 UTC] PHP Warning:  stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap_generic.php on line 1060
[07-Nov-2023 17:51:15 UTC] PHP Warning:  stream_socket_client(): Unable to connect to ssl://localhost:993 (Unknown error) in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap_generic.php on line 1060
[07-Nov-2023 17:51:15 +0000]: <5qjacl24> IMAP Error: Login failed for [email protected] against localhost from "myBrowserIP". Could not connect to ssl://localhost:993: Unknown reason in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 211 (POST /roundcube/?_task=login&_action=login)

also:
Code:
root@hostname:/var/log/plesk-roundcube# openssl s_client -connect localhost:993 -starttls imap
CONNECTED(00000003)
Didn't find STARTTLS in server response, trying anyway...
write:errno=32
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
SSL handshake has read 0 bytes and written 14 bytes
Verification: OK
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
Early data was not sent
Verify return code: 0 (ok)
---

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/11-plesk-security-ssl.conf exists? If so, paste it's contents.

also,
# cat /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-plesk-security.conf |grep -v ^#

Is certificate for local mailserver set?
1699520023480.png

Do you use apparmor?

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/11-plesk-security-ssl.conf (interesting that there is no 1.3)

Code:
ssl=yes
ssl_protocols = TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2
ssl_cert=</etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_key=</etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
ssl_dh=</opt/psa/etc/dhparams1024.pem
ssl_min_protocol=TLSv1.2
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers=yes

# cat /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-plesk-security.conf |grep -v ^#
Code:
disable_plaintext_auth = no

there was indeed a wrong (site-specific) certificate set in SSL/TLS setting, I tried switching to LE default and Serverpool default, no difference (still no connect)
1699540399919.png

Try:
# plesk sbin sslmng --service dovecot --strong-dh --dhparams-size=2048
# systemctl restart dovecot

This will create new DH parameters set(/opt/psa/etc/dhparams2048.pem) and replace the "/opt/psa/etc/dhparams1024.pem" value at ssl_dh with it in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/11-plesk-security-ssl.conf

dang... that was it... first when plesk tried to restart dovecot, there was a timeout error. I then restarted manually (as you said anyway), and it didn't work. The I checked /etc/dovecot/conf.d/11-plesk-security-ssl.conf and noticed that still the 1024 file was referenced, I checked in /opt/psa/etc/ for the 2048 file, and it was there (so that part had worked). I then manually edited /etc/dovecot/conf.d/11-plesk-security-ssl.conf to link to the 2048 file, and restarted dovecot, now it works ;)
I fear however, that this will be overwritten with some future update?
But thanks a lot for helping!

>> there was a timeout error
That's why the utility failed I guess. On my server I had no timeouts.
Anyways, if timeout is reproducible under particular circumstances, you can file a bug report.

Back