• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

AH01630: client denied by server configuration

Maarten.

Golden Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Hi,

Apache generate lots of warnings like below on some files within the httpdocs:

[authz_core:error] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/
wp-content/themes/***/css/custom_style.php

Any idea how to fix this? I found this in
/usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/server.php:

<Directory "<?php echo $VAR->server->webserver->vhostsDir ?>">
AllowOverride "<?php echo $VAR->server->webserver->apache->allowOverrideDefault ?>"
Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

<?php if ($VAR->server->webserver->apache->useRequireOption): ?>
Require all granted
<?php else: ?>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
<?php endif; ?>

but I can't find a way to set the $VAR->server->webserver->apache->useRequireOption. That seems to be the solution to fix this. If thats true, the warning goes away.

Hi Maartenv,

if you experience such errors, you have to include your used webserver(s) and its version and you should include the current webserver - conf - files, so that investigations could be made.
It is as well wise to include your current operating system and the used Plesk version ( incl. MU ).

Please be informed, that "client denied by server configuration" already points to the cause, so there are either misconfigurations according to your DocumentRoot for that domain, which could be wrong permissions, a misconfiguration of PHP5-FPM ( if you use it ), a non-working nginx ( if you use it ), or missing rewrite definitions ( apache and/or nginx ).

You're right, I've should have given more details.
It's Centos 7.1 and Plesk 12.0.18

Anyway, the problem was the WordPress hardening tool. It has an option to secure the wp-content folder. It prevents .php to be executed within the wp-content folder. The WordPress theme had a .php file in the css folder (bad habit) and there ya go, it gets blocked. The huge amount of warnings in the logfile nearly stopped the server.

And if the error is "AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/plesk-service.localdomain/"????

How do I find out what process is trying to get the local website? Could it be nginx access to the apache server? Redirection of an external request?

Where can I reconfigure the web access permissions for this folder? It doesn't have any htaccess in it.

It's very hard to find out what's causing this error - all you see is that it's forbidden, and very little in the logs about it..

Back