• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue bind9 prevent to upgrade

fabieng

Basic Pleskian
Hello !
I have debian 10 with plesk obsidian. I do not use bind services, so, I do not have it installed on plesk services. But for some reason, bind9 is installed and prevent to upgrade properly :

dpkg: error processing package bind9 (--configure):
installed bind9 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
bind9

seems that apt cannot configure
May 31 15:25:42 brave-elion.intense-dmc.com named[48090]: open: /etc/named.conf: permission denied
May 31 15:25:42 brave-elion.intense-dmc.com named[48090]: loading configuration: permission denied
May 31 15:25:42 brave-elion.intense-dmc.com named[48090]: exiting (due to fatal error)

but

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Apr 20 12:34 /etc/named.conf -> /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1109 Apr 29 19:39 /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf

>> conf file is readable.

so, did anybody aexperienced this problem ? can we uninstall completly bind9 or is it used for any other plesk service ? thx for your lights !

hello @fabieng ,

in general you can remove bind by command apt-get --purge remove bind9
package plesk-dns-bind-driver will be also removed by dependencies (if it was installed)
and remove /etc/bind/rndc.conf by hands.

yes but do you know why this service is still active even if bind has been uninstalled from plesk components ? is it used by another service ?

@fabieng ,

actually, during removing bind component Plesk removes only plesk-dns-bind-driver package (which is driver for Plesk for manage DNS).
we decided that there is nothing bad if we would not remove bind itself (probably customer would like to configure it manually or something else like that). And there was no any problems with this before.

I've tried to reproduce this problem (update Plesk with bind9:1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u3 to plesk with bind9:1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u5 from security updates), but in my case an upgrade finished without errors.

could you please check in your logs what version of bind9 was installed before you started upgrade ?
what bind9 version is expected to be installed ?

what are the Plesk versions before and expected to be after upgrade ?

could you please show your sources.list ?

Back