• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Broken Plesk install / Apache Templates by Plesk Migrator (Ubuntu 16.04.7 to 20.04.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nextgen-Networks

Basic Pleskian
Username: Nextgen-Networks

TITLE

Broken Plesk install / Apache Templates by Plesk Migrator (Ubuntu 16.04.7 to 20.04.2)

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Linux VPS
Plesk Migrator 2.21.0-981

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Hi Plesk Team and Community,

there seems to be a general Plesk problem with Apache config when migrating from a ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS based server to a fresh Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS based when using the Plesk Migrator.

After about 1 day (maybe a restart) it leads to errors that are complaining for broken Apache templates and Apache is not starting anymore. Postfix has to be started manually.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Import Plesk 18.0.34 Update 2 / Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS based data to a fresh Plesk 18.0.35 / 20.04.2 LTS based instance with Plesk Migrator with standard options.
  2. Create a new second subscription next to the imported one matching new VPS-DNS name ans secure it with SSL cert from lets encrypt
  3. Restart the server

ACTUAL RESULT

Apache wont start and Apache Template error messages appear. Postfix won't start automatically but could be started manually.

EXPECTED RESULT

Migration and additional subscription should work well on a fresh installed machine

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Apache error_log states there are problems that mod_ssl could not be started

[Thu Apr 29 11:10:47.582979 2021] [ssl:emerg] [pid 10064] AH02311: Fatal error initialising mod_ssl, exiting. See /var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN-NAME-HIDDEN/logs/error_log for more information
AH00016: Configuration Failed

Even the migration was a bit strange because of this message:
The following Apache modules are not installed on the destination server: aclr, actions, alias, authn_file, authz_host, authz_user, env, mime, remoteip, security2, ssl, unique_id.
Please install and turn on these modules in Plesk to prevent some possible problems.
If you check the existence of the modules on the destination server - e.g. for aclr - you'll get this message:
# apt-get install libapache2-mod-aclr2-psa
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libapache2-mod-aclr2-psa is already the newest version (14081815-v.ubuntu.20.04+p18.0.35.0+t210311.0745).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Repair Apache templates via Webserver Configurations Troubleshooter was not successful.

Repair Plesk via Repair-Kit (GUI and also CLI) has also not solved the issues

Server was completely restarted between every repair step.

Deleting all subscriptions and customer data and re-run the repair steps mentioned above does not solve the Apache issues but created a new set of error messages in the Apache error_log:
[Thu Apr 29 11:22:25.035892 2021] [ssl:emerg] [pid 430] AH01898: Unable to configure permitted SSL ciphers
[Thu Apr 29 11:22:25.133187 2021] [ssl:emerg] [pid 430] SSL Library Error: error:1410D0B9:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list:no cipher match
[Thu Apr 29 11:22:25.208004 2021] [ssl:emerg] [pid 430] AH02312: Fatal error initialising mod_ssl, exiting.
AH00016: Configuration Failed

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

... ok, things are evolving ...

Key issue seems to be modern SSL cypher in combination with Ubuntu 20.04.02 and Plesk 18.0.35 - I'll update/revise this thread as soon as I've more insights.

... ok, things are evolving ...

Key issue seems to be modern SSL cypher in combination with Ubuntu 20.04.02 and Plesk 18.0.35 - I'll update/revise this thread as soon as I've more insights.
Confirmed! "Modern" Ciphers in Plesk SSL-it extension lead to broken Apache config!

I got a working config again by changing the "Applied preset" in "TLS versions and ciphers by Mozilla" within Plesk SSL-it extension back to "Intermediate (recommended)" and afterwards using the "Webserver Configurations Troubleshooter" and select "Rebuild" -> "All".

I'll create a new Topic for that case and mark this as closed because of the misleading subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back