• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Cannot remove local IP

Quinten

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello i have a problem with the IPs of my webserver.
When i remove the local IP the server and all websites became unreachable until i restarted the server and then the local ip comes back.
My other Plesk servers do not have this and the only difference is that this one is hosted on Azure.

I have tried following the following article:

/root/ip_map_file_name content:
eth0 PUBLIC IP 255.255.255.255 -> eth0 PUBLIC IP 255.255.255.255

ip a output:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:0d:3a:67:18:a8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet PUBLIC IP/32 scope global eth0
inet 10.0.0.4/24 brd 10.0.0.255 scope global eth0
inet6 fe80::20d:3aff:fe67:18a8/64 scope link

On Plesk i see this, the black being the public ip
1667920340844.png

Does anyone know what to do about this?
I also fixed an issue where my named.conf key and rndc.conf key did not have the same value wich was a different problem where the ip adress of the A records suddenly switched to the local ip making everything unreachable.

I am not sure whether an Azure account can work without their private IP. I think it is needed for internal communication. The instance knows its own IP and will probably prefer to use it whenever it has something do to on its own. It's been similar on Windows Server.

You can check your webserver configuration files. Probably Nginx files have that IP address to connect to Apache. For example /var/www/vhosts/system/<your domain name>/conf/nginx.conf:

1667989861906.png

Does this have your 10.0.0.4 IP where the red boxes are? I am eager to learn something here, could you please check that and report here?

I am not sure whether an Azure account can work without their private IP. I think it is needed for internal communication. The instance knows its own IP and will probably prefer to use it whenever it has something do to on its own. It's been similar on Windows Server.

You can check your webserver configuration files. Probably Nginx files have that IP address to connect to Apache. For example /var/www/vhosts/system/<your domain name>/conf/nginx.conf:

View attachment 21904

Does this have your 10.0.0.4 IP where the red boxes are? I am eager to learn something here, could you please check that and report here?

Hey Peter thank you for the reply!

Yes the 10.0.0.4 is there where the red boxes are on your screenshot.

I think then that you should just leave it as it is. The internal IP address is the standard Windows Server model how it's always been in the Microsoft networking environment. I think you'll need to think of this as a virtual machine.

What is the main reason for which you'd like to remove that IP address?

I think then that you should just leave it as it is. The internal IP address is the standard Windows Server model how it's always been in the Microsoft networking environment. I think you'll need to think of this as a virtual machine.

What is the main reason for which you'd like to remove that IP address?
Ok il leave it as it is then, thank you.

The main reason for wanting to remove that IP is that something went wrong 1 or 2 days after it was up and running for the first time.
The named service restarted and there was something wrong with the key in named.conf and the key in rndc.conf as in they where not equal which for some reason put the DNS records on the local 10.0.0.4 IP instead of the public IP which put the website offline.

Since i put the keys equal i have been able to restart the named service without any problems but to avoid that possible happening in the future i wanted to get rid of the local one, my other webservers do not have that local ip in the list , only public, but they are not on azure so i wasn't sure.

Back