• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Cannot upgrade plugins trough wordpress toolkit after migration.

Killengage

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm struggling to find the problem why the wordpress toolkit will not update plugins/wordpress/themes. I'm getting this error:
  • The WordPress plugins were updated with errors:
    • Installation "Multirotor Photo's": Warning: Could not create directory. {"err_code":0,"err_message":"Updated 0\/1 plugins."}
I recently migrated all domains from my old server to the new server using the plesk migration tool.
The configurations of the servers:

Old server: Ubuntu 12.04, Plesk 12.0.18, AMD Opteron , 8 GB RAM
New server: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Plesk 12.0.18, Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM

I have been searching for log files within my system to identify what directory isn't writable, since its not clear in the fault message. Some help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I think your are you getting this issues due to incorrect ownership of your account files. Try to update the correct ownership of all files and try again.

Plugins in wordpress are located at: "/var/www/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN.COM/httpdocs/YOURWORDPRESS_ROOT-FOLDER/wp-content/plugins" and should have a standard permission set to 755.
Themes in wordpress are located at "/var/www/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN.COM/httpdocs/YOURWORDPRESS_ROOT-FOLDER/wp-content/themes" and should as well have standard permissions set to 755.

Be aware that some plugins and themes are not configured correctly, because plugin and theme coders are mostly no professionals. Have a look into these folders and correct the different folder permission to the standard.
Your folders and files should be owned by the group psacln and the current systemuser.

Thanks for your reply's. Looks like ownership and permissions are the same. I see however 2 directories within /wp-content with ownership www-data:www-data. Its the upgrade and uploads directory. Is this correct ?

Thanks

It depends, Killengage.... if you use nginx on your server as well, you might struggle, because the systemuser nginx is not in the www-data - group by default. You can change this, by using the command:

usermod -aG psacln nginx
As I wrote before, the absolut correct permission would be group "psacln" and the current systemuser for that domain.

Ok did some testing:

When i change the ownership to sytemuser:psacln for all /wp-content directories i can do the upgrade trough the wordpress toolkit. When i login to the site (wp-admin) and try to install a plugin i get the error message "could not create directory) again. Changing ownership of /upgrade and /plugins back to www-data:www-data fixes this problem, but bringing the problem back in the wordpress toolkit.

Ok, changed the /upgrade and /plugins to www-data:psacln ownership. Now its working via the wordpress admin section as well in the Wordpress toolkit. However i think it doesn't make sense to me to use www-data. Thanks for your help !!

EDIT: Now problems returned in Wordpress Toolkit. Looks like wordpress toolkit use system user:psacln ownership and wordpress admin section uses www-data:www-data ownership.

Last edited:
Back