• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs digital ocean dns doesn't synch

TomBoB

Regular Pleskian
Username: TomBoB

TITLE

digital ocean dns doesn't synch

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.31 Update #1; CentOS Linux 7.9.2009

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

change of DNS settings - based on Plesks DNS template but with additional DNS entries to accommodate for mailchimp doesn't synch to digital ocean

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

subscription. use Plesks DNS template for DNs settings. add mailchimps additional DNS entries. (adjusted SPF and k1, k2, k3 CNAME records)

then go and add an additional DNS entry. In this case a google domain verification TXT record.

the digital ocean extension does not sync that new/extra TXT record to the digital ocean name servers

ACTUAL RESULT

extra/additional TXT record is not created on DO name servers

EXPECTED RESULT

new record IS created on DO name servers

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

after above doesn't sync to DO,
1) changing an existing record - for example www CNAME to wwww , or ftp CNAME to ftpp - and updating DNS still doesn't sync to DO
2) creating a brand new additional record - for example testxyz. CNAME record - still doesn't sync to DO

3) only after removing the just created testxyz. CNAME record and updating is the new/adjusted DNS record synced to DO.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Hi,

Could you please check that the right script is used for synchronization data between Plesk and DigitalOcean? There is a command for the SSH console:
plesk db "SELECT value FROM ServiceNodeConfiguration WHERE name LIKE 'custom_script'"

An example from my test server with Plesk and DigitalOcean DNS:
Code:
# plesk db "SELECT value FROM ServiceNodeConfiguration WHERE name LIKE 'custom_script'"
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| value                                                                     |
| "/usr/local/psa/bin/extension" --exec digitaloceandns digitaloceandns.php |

Currently, only one extension could be used for synchronization DNS records between Plesk and external service. If you try to install a different extension like Amazon Route53, it overwrites some settings of the previous extension. It could be fixed by reinstalling DigitalOcean DNS extension.

Hi,
yes got same.
Code:
~$ plesk db "SELECT value FROM ServiceNodeConfiguration WHERE name LIKE 'custom_script'"
| value                                                                     |
| "/usr/local/psa/bin/extension" --exec digitaloceandns digitaloceandns.php |

Did a small DNS change just now, created a new testtest. CNAME record as per 2) above and it synced straight away.

thinking about it overnight, this is the third time it happened during the last year. And there seems to be a strange pattern to it. On each occasion the above occurred when a DNS adjustment was made (no matter which subscription was used) after _no_ other DNS changes had been made on the whole server for at least the previous 1 week - in this case 6 days to be exact. It almost feels like the extension / the syncing goes into a kind of sleep mode. [ I realize, not very technical ;) ]

Will watch the server closely - and also test on other servers - after what time period the syncing seems to stop - and if it might be time related.

On another server, that's also syncing to the same DO name servers, and which had no DNS changes whatsoever during the last 3 weeks:
Picked a particular subscription. DNS has warning:
Warning: The DNS zone was modified. If you would like to apply changes in the DNS template to this zone, either click the 'Apply DNS Template Changes' button on this page or go to the Server Administration Panel > Tools & Settings > DNS Template Settings > Apply DNS Template Changes and choose the 'Apply the changes to all zones' option.

A careful check of all entries shows though that everything matches exactly what the template would create. Without first applying the template:

1) changed the ftp CNAME record to ftpp > doesn't sync
2) created a xyz. CNAME record > doesn't sync
3) created a TXT record > doesn't sync
4) created an abc. A record > doesn't sync
5) removed the xyz. CNAME record > doesn't sync
6) removed the A and TXT record > doesn't sync
7) Apply the template > is synced to DO.

Any further changes to this or any other subscriptions DNS settings are now synced straight away.

Hope it helps to pin down the issue :)

Warning: The DNS zone was modified. If you would like to apply changes in the DNS template to this zone, [...]

Hm... hmm... it seems it is not a bug of DigitalOcean DNS extension, that is how templates work. The DigitalOcean DNS extension synchronizes changes that were applied to DNS records in Plesk. It means if there are no changes in Plesk DNS, DigitalOcean DNS will not sync them because there is no to sync.

I think there is a misunderstanding; or we are talking past each other.

ANY change in dns should be replicated/synced to DO.
If i create an A record [ or much more important: a client has logged into plesk and adjusts dns by creating a new A record!] within whatever subscription [ see 4) in my above post #4 ] , that record is created in Plesk. And that record should be created/synced to DO. No discussion, full stop. It does not do so under certain conditions as outlined above.

Many clients of ours use the stock-standard Plesk dns template. however there are also many other ones that use gmail for email and obviously have specific [=non-plesk template] dns settings. Not just mx records but also A records for calendar. docs. etc
By your logic, non of those dns settings, if adjusted, would sync to DO. because they are plesk-non-template based. I refuse to believe that that is how it works. Defeats and defies the whole idea of syncing plesks dns to DO.

--
in very simple terms. when i (or a client) change something in DNS [ apart from the ns records itself ], in whatever subsciption, it has to sync to DO. That is not happening (under certian conditions).
which is why i filed the report.

Unfortunately, developers can't reproduce the issue. So, I suggest you contact Plesk Support Team. Experienced supporters will investigate this issue directly on your affected server and provide additional details to developers if needed.

Thanks Igor, I'll give it another week wait to make sure it happens again and will contact them then.

Back