• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Email account with no mailbox, cant auth

Dave W

Regular Pleskian
Greetings Pleskers,

Tested OS: CentOS8 and CentOS7
Tested Plesk: Obs 18.0.30 and 18.0.31

Issue: Cant use an email account for smtp without enabling the mailbox.

Procedure: Add an email address without mailbox enabled to use as an smtp gateway for an app. Tested on the app and on Thunderbird.

Logs: With mailbox disabled on the email account and I try to connect the logs show:

No such user '[email protected]' in mail authorization database

I believe this used to work?

Rgds
Dave_W

I think that this is the correct behavior, because in Linux, there is not really something like an email account without a mailbox. You either have a mail account, which includes having a mailbox, or you don't have a mail account. Interesting thought though why it is this way. It does not seem so obvious why a mailbox is required to login to an smtp server.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for answering.
This used to work on Plesk though, setting up an account without a mailbox to use as an smtp gateway for applications?
Rgds
Dave_W

I think it always needed a mailbox to login to the smtp server. Have you made a different experience before? How can a user be authorized against "mail" permissions if the user account does not have a mailbox?

Back