• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved fail2ban plesk-postfix jail and filter configuration

ufreier

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.49
Hello Community,

I try to ban user with too many SASL authentication failures, the jail plesk-postfix does not seem to do this out of the box - at least I find a lot of tries in the maillog but no IP in its jail. There might be several reasons. First I'm a bit confused because I find a jail named 'plesk-postfix' but if I click on 'manage filters' there is only a jail named "postfix' - do they belong together? If not it would be interesting where to find the filter management of plesk-postfix. If so I guess the problem might result from the lines

mdpr-auth = warning:
mdre-auth = ^[^[]*\[<HOST>\]%(_port)s: SASL ((?i)LOGIN|PLAIN|(?:CRAM|DIGEST)-MD5) authentication failed:(?! Connection lost to authentication server| Invalid authentication mechanism)
mdre-auth2 = ^[^[]*\[<HOST>\]%(_port)s: SASL ((?i)LOGIN|PLAIN|(?:CRAM|DIGEST)-MD5) authentication failed:(?! Connection lost to authentication server)

that look similar but not exactly like the entries in my maillog that are always written as:

warning: unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure

Is it possible to make it work replacing 'Connection lost to authentication server' with 'authentication failure' or must there be other modifications anywhere?

thanks, Uwe

Thanks! At last the solution was there but also the information that this is a common problem resulting from the very, very restrictive default settings of fail2ban. Setting 'IP address ban period' and 'Time interval for detection" to 600 sec and 'Number of failures ...' to 5 are only useful if the server is under heavy attack. Setting it to higher values make fail2ban work also in 'normal environments' (I set it to 86400 - means 1 day).

Back