• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question File names in FTP server to support UTF8 characters

VojkanC

Basic Pleskian
I would like to be able to upload file names in Cyrillic (e.g. а, б, в, г, д,...) and Extended Latin characters (e.g. š, đ, ž, č, ć) via FTP.
I can create these files using Plesk File Manager, but when I upload them over FTP using Filezilla then my files get renamed. Here is an example:
"Poređenje.txt" becomes "Poređenje.txt"
"роботс.txt" becomes "роботс.txt"
"Testšđžčć.txt" becomes "Testšđžčć.txt"

Similar happens when I try to upload a screenshot of a page which has non ASCII characeters using FireShot:
This name:
https://dobarhosting.com/fireshot/FireShot Pro Screen Capture #009 - 'Pore%c4%91enje%20svih%20Microsoft%20Office%20proizvoda%20I%20Microsoft%20Office'%20-%20products_office_com_Sr-latn-rs_compare-all-microso.png

gets changed to:
https://dobarhosting.com/fireshot/FireShot Pro Screen Capture #009 - 'Poredenje%20svih%20Microsoft%20Office%20proizvoda%20I%20Microsoft%20Office'%20-%20products_office_com_Sr-latn-rs_compare-all-microso.png

I would appreciate any help with this.
Is this due to Plesk, proFTPd, Centos, some library or something else?

OS ‪CentOS 6.10 (Final)‬
Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #32

Maybe the problem in FileZilla encoding settings? I can't reproduce it on my Mac with ForkLift FTP client. All files with Cyrillic names were uploaded to Plesk FTP without any damages in their names.
Also, check this KB article, maybe it will help - Plesk Help Center

Hi VojkanC,

I would appreciate any help with this.

If your server returns something like listings below, enable debug logging in FileZilla and check what commands use the FTP-client and what answers the server provides.

• Check that ProFTPd supports NLS:
Code:
# proftpd -V | grep -i 'nls support'
    + NLS support
#

• I also connected to FTP-server with telnet and checked that I can turn on UTF8 support:
# telnet localhost 21
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ProFTPD Server (ProFTPD) [::1]

USER test
331 Password required for test
PASS 123QWE
230 User test logged in
FEAT
211-Features:
AUTH TLS
CCC
CLNT
EPRT
EPSV
HOST
LANG en-US*
MDTM
MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
MFMT
MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.groupname*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;UNIX.ownername*;
PBSZ
PROT
REST STREAM
SIZE
SSCN
TVFS
UTF8
211 End

OPTS UTF8 ON
200 UTF8 set to on
QUIT
221 Goodbye.