• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question FTP Server in Plesk

chrisguk

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I am brand new to Plesk and I did scour the net and the manual before coming here.

I have setup plesk default install and configured the DNS and nameservers. With resolution everything works perfectly.

The problem I am having is I do not want to open port 21 on the server and use passive ports only. Have I got this theory correct or not?

Or is it safe to leave port 21 open?

The other thing is when I opened port 21 I only received the message from the filezilla client "retrieving directory list" and it just hangs there. Is there something I need to do to ensure the directory listing defaults to /%accountname%/httpdocs/

Or does it do this by default and I have missed a step?

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Or is it safe to leave port 21 open?
It is safe ... and to avoid issues/failures/misconfigurations, consider NOT to change it. Instead, pls. use for example Fail2Ban, to secure it.

The other thing is when I opened port 21 I only received the message from the filezilla client "retrieving directory list" and it just hangs there. Is there something I need to do to ensure the directory listing defaults to /%accountname%/httpdocs/
Investigations are done with the help of log - files and configuration files.

/usr/local/psa/var/log/ftp_tls.log ( should link to: "/var/log/plesk/ftp_tls.log" )
/usr/local/psa/var/log/xferlog ( should link to: "/var/log/plesk/xferlog" )

There are three depending configuration files for ProFTP with Plesk:

/etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa
/etc/proftpd.conf
/etc/proftpd.include

Please investigate these files as well, to find issues.

Back