• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question German Umlaute Images URL - Apache

FM1989

New Pleskian
Hello everybody,

I currently host a couple of websites (of my own). I also use Wordpress there. Unfortunately I included "German umlauts" as file names for some URLs.

Can these umlauts be rewritten, or Apache can be set up so that the URL with "ä and ü" ect. can call?

www.test.de/änderung.jpg

(just as an example).

Many greetings

Not sure about umlauts in filenames, but, for example, Plesk does not allow non-ASCII symbols in the document roots.
Mainly because not all internet browsers and e-mail programs can handle domain names with the characters æ, ø, å, ö, ä, ü and é.
It's required to use a domain with ASCII symbols like pleska.tld instead of pleskä.tld to get the document root created after the domain name.

I would suggest not using umlauts, even if plesk supports them.
They can create some errors in different configs.

For the wordpress installations, you can update the permalink within the post/page itself.

Back