• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question How can I stop plesk listening on port 443 completely?

whatnext

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
We need to run some web services on port 443 using a custom web server. There is a requirement that we keep Plesk running on the same machine for other server admin tasks; however, it is not needed for serving websites at all. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this through the menu system. It is possible to "suspend" and "disable" specific websites, but it seems Plesk will still serve a 503 page in this case. There is also the option to "change hosting type" to "no hosting", but a warning appears saying the change will take the radical step of basically deleting the default home directory. Sounds like that might break a few things - and why should it be necessary? How can I simply stop Plesk hogging port 443 without deleting anything? Thanks!

Just an idea, have not tested it myself and can't guarantee anything.
What about the ability to start a customer web server on another (not 443) port and use Plesk nginx with custom settings ((Plesk for Linux) Apache and Nginx Configuration Files) to redirect required requests from the 443/tcp port to the custom web server?
Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think a redirect would work, because then the requesting code would need to follow the redirect (its a mobile application doing the calling, rather than a web browser). I think a reverse proxy would work - but this would then mean having Plesk added into the stack (which just seems like an unnecessary complication, especially given we are not experts in Plesk). I would have thought switching off web services completely ought to be an option. I'm assuming from your answer that this is not possible?

Could you please share your scenarios, of how you are going to use Plesk if its web server is not used for websites? In what other Plesk features you are interested in if want to disable web service? Why just not deploy an application on another server in this case?

I would have thought switching off web services completely ought to be an option. I'm assuming from your answer that this is not possible?
I assume it is not a popular scenario for Plesk,
Here is another idea, but it also has not been tested by myself, and can't guarantee anything.
1. If you stop the "Reverse Proxy Server (nginx)" service, nginx will not listen to the 443/tcp port (Apache with nginx). Or you can remove the component from the Plesk (Adding and Removing Plesk Components).
2. Adjust templates for Apache web server, Example: Changing Default Apache Ports, Appendix A: Configuration Templates Structure

Back