• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How does node.js interact with Nginx?

Kroptokin

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8 (Sapphire Caracal)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.53 Update #1, last updated on June 15, 2023 02:16 AM
Hi

I have set up a Node.js add on a domain following these instructions: Plesk Node.Js Setup

It pretty much works except I get a message: "Another Node.js application in the subscription already uses this application root. Specify another application root that contains the document root." But anyway.

My question is: how is this interacting with Nginx and/or Apache. In a default set up Nginx acts as a reverse proxy for Apache and serves static content (after it is passed the disk location by Apache which has processed the request). In the case of a Node app installed as per the above how does this work? Is Apache out of the picture? Is Nginx still serving static content? The docs explain how to set it up but they don't say what you have done.

If someone can give me a brief outline of how this is working I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Update: it appears that it still used Nginx and Apache - somewhere I guess it has used the proxy_pass directive?

I confirmed that it uses Apache because if I stop Apache my node app is no longer served. It looks like Nginx is still involved because it is producing the error messages. So - it looks like we now have: Nginx => Apache => Node.js

But does anyone actually know what is going on?

Back