• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to fix cleartext IMAP / FTP

Edi Duluman

Basic Pleskian
Hello!

I am trying to be PCI Compliant on three servers and the latest scan ( when I thought I'm done ) tells me there are two issues to deal with:

Code:
ftp receives cleartext password

Risk: High (3)
Port: 21/tcp
Protocol: tcp
Threat ID: ftp_clear

I am confused on the FTP problem because I already checked Allow only Secure FTP connections in Tools & Settings > Security Policy

Code:
imap receives cleartext password

Risk: High (3)
Port: 143/tcp
Protocol: tcp
Threat ID: mail_imap_clear

Information From Target:
Service: imap
Received:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.
GET BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.
* BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.
* BYE Too many invalid IMAP commands.

Now, when it comes to IMAP, I already did the disable_plaintext_auth = yes setting in Dovecot, notice LOGINDISABLED before AUTH mechanisms.

I also ran the pci_compliance_resolver --enable dovecot ( and proftpd ), as well as the following in proftpd.conf

Code:
    # common settings for all virtual hosts
    TLSEngine on
    TLSRequired on

Now I'm successfully connecting to FTP ( SSL/TLS Explicit Encryption ), port 21 ( configured PassivePorts, all works fine ) and if I'm tyring to connect with No Encryption it returns me this error which is normal behavior:

Code:
Connection failed.
SSL/TLS required on the control channel

I tend to think, since they say "FTP is a cleartext protocol", they probably mean I should not have the port open. But that makes me wonder, how am I supposed to connect to my server's files if FTP is down ?

Can I have FTPS on another port so they don't cry about this one ? Or is it a bad solution ?

Please tell me what you think, I'm running out of ideas, as I tend to think they don't even bother checking if I allow only encrypted connections via port 21. Guess they just check the port, assume it's unencrypted and that's it.

Thank you for reading all the way through.

Hi Edi Duluman,

I am confused on the FTP problem because I already checked Allow only Secure FTP connections in Tools & Settings > Security Policy
... and people willing to help you are confused, because the don't provide any configuration files from your server here, nor do you let us know, what operating system you use and last but not least, you don't even state, which Plesk version ( incl. MU ) you use.

I tend to think, since they say "FTP is a cleartext protocol", they probably mean I should not have the port open. But that makes me wonder, how am I supposed to connect to my server's files if FTP is down ?
Sorry, but we are not able to answer such questions, or thoughts. These would just be shoots out of the blue, not based on facts. Pls. consider to ASK THEM, what configuration they expect and configure it based on their suggestions.

Please tell me what you think, I'm running out of ideas, as I tend to think they don't even bother checking if I allow only encrypted connections via port 21. Guess they just check the port, assume it's unencrypted and that's it.
... and again: Pls. don't let us guess, what other people might think or expect.

Btw.: Such PCI compliant test/scans are always based on THEIR documentations and this is a plesk-related forum. You are asking questions, whereby people who would like to help you with PLESK-RELATED questions, do not even have the opportunity to investigate their standards, due to the fact that we don't even know what company you are trying to work with. :rolleyes:

OK. I'm actually feeling bad asking for help. No need to make me feel like I killed anyone by posting this. I'll just try and get a hold of those guys at ControlScan, as they don't seem to reply.

Thanks.

Hi Edi Duluman,

OK. I'm actually feeling bad asking for help. No need to make me feel like I killed anyone by posting this.
Sorry, Edi... my contribution is not to be considered as an offense or an attack, but you should know that you should pay attention to a few principles, as we use effort and time when we try to help Plesk users.

Back