• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Installing shoutcast

M

Merlin05

Hi
I'm brand new to plesk and I'm trying to install shoutcast on my site. Does anyone know how or if shoutcast is compatible with plesk, as I can't find anywhere to run the command from.

Thanks in advance.

With Shoutcast, you essentially have to pretend that Plesk does not exist in terms of setup. Shoutcast requires console access of some sort in order to start it, and runs on a completely independant port from any websites or Plesk itself.
You'll basically need SSH access in order to properly setup and run it.
If you really need some sort of web interface to manage your Shoutcast server, I would suggest something like Webmin... it's free, and simple. There are other options out there, of course, but the best one I knew about decided it was time to switch from GPL to Commercial Licensing and are going to be charging for the use of the script from now on.

Just to soound like a total plesk n00b how do I access SSH

Easiest way is with a program called PuTTy.
You could use the SSH Terminal in Plesk, but its java-based, and I personally find it to be ****.
You will log in with your admin username and password (the same one you use to log into Plesk), on port 22, unless you did the smart thing and moved SSH to a different port for security reasons, in which case you would use that port instead.
You'll be using the admin login because, for security reasons, you should have already by now disabled direct root login access.
Unpack the files. Upload them somewhere (I suggest not using a web-accessable directory). Edit the sc_serv.conf file. Type this into the terminal:
./sc_serv sc_serv.conf &
The & will send the process into the background, and allow it to survive logout (means it will keep running after you close the SSH window).
If it is running happy, and you have sent a test broadcast and connected successfully, simply type "logout" and you're done. Shoutcast is running.

ok I tried that but just got this

-bash: ./sc_serv: No such file or directory

sorry for late reply I've been away on holiday

Ok this is what I have done on shh

created a new dir called shoutcast, entered it typed nano sc_serv.conf, copied the edited sc_serv.conf file, saved it, went back to main shoutcast dir and ran ./sc_serv sc_serv.conf &

but this still does not seem to work, I'm probably doing this all wrong, but I'm at a total loss now. :mad:

****EDIT****

After a few hours and many tantrums, I've cracked it.

:p :p :p

Originally posted by Merlin05
Ok this is what I have done on shh

created a new dir called shoutcast, entered it typed nano sc_serv.conf, copied the edited sc_serv.conf file, saved it, went back to main shoutcast dir and ran ./sc_serv sc_serv.conf &

but this still does not seem to work, I'm probably doing this all wrong, but I'm at a total loss now. :mad:

****EDIT****

After a few hours and many tantrums, I've cracked it.

:p :p :p

YOu can find shoutcast RPMs with FC3 and upwards. Simply

Code:
yum install shoutcast

then edit the /etc/shoutcast.conf to taste. :)

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it whilst trying to find a guide to install SHOUTcast on Plesk 12.

I used this guide vpsshell.co.uk/index.php/centosrhel-installing-shoutcast-server/ to do my installation, but be aware that the install files are not same since version 2. You need to head to shoutcast.com/broadcast-tools to get the download links emailed to you. Rest of the guide is good though, although I installed only the DNAS server and not the transcoder, as I'm only doing live streaming.

To solve the problem of auto starting shoutcast on server reboot, I used this guide nathanskelton.com/blog/?p=576 and it worked perfectly on my CentOS 6.x 64bit installation.

Configuration is up to your own personal requirements. However in my configuration I used full paths when defining the logfile, w3clog, banfile, and ripfile like this example:

; here we will setup where the log and other related files
; will be stored. make sure that these folders exist else
; sc_serv will throw an error and will close itself down.

logfile=/home/shoutcastuser/shoutcastfolder/logs/sc_serv.log
w3clog=/home/shoutcastuser/shoutcastfolder/logs/sc_w3c.log
banfile=/home/shoutcastuser/shoutcastfolder/control/sc_serv.ban
ripfile=/home/shoutcastuser/shoutcastfolder/control/sc_serv.rip​

Lastly I used the orbitalgrooves.com/bandwidthcalculator.php to help calculate the max concurant users (the maxuser value in the config), that my server and its connection could handle.

Hope that helps anyones else coming across this thread.

Back