• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Instance broken after migration

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hey everyone,

Thought about posting this so others that are having the same problem can have the solution. Also this may serve as feedback to the developers.

I'm in the process of migrating dozens of Wordpress sites from my old server to the Plesk platform. Since the Website Import extension does not seem to work even though I have SSH access to the old server (I also posted a thread about this but no solution so far) then I'm using the trusted (and best, IMHO) Duplicator plugin.

--- By the way here's another feedback: as Plesk is focusing on Wordpress, why not develop a Wordpress plugin to *push* a Wordpress installation *to* the Plesk server? I understand that Plesk users are technically minded but that would make it very easy for novice users without having to worry about SSH or FTP access on their old server. Cloudways did just that with their Blogvault partnership.

After migration and checking that the site is working, I then proceed to add it to the Wordpress toolkit. But almost every single time it return with a INSTANCE BROKEN error. Digging deeper I found out that the problem is usually because in wp-config.php there is a require('wp-salt.php'); directive and Wordpress toolkit borks at that saying that this file could not be accessed or something like that, even though this file is actually present in root and the site is working just fine. I really can't understand why is this happening, as there are no permission issues stopping the file from running.

So my solution to this is to open https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/ to get new salts, and then replace the require(); above with these. After this, I just need to detach the instance and scan again to make it work.

Back