• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mail server problem

zumzum

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I'm relatively new in Plesk(using web admin edition), but so far I like it.

However, I am having issues with Mail server, I can not connect mydomain.com and make it to work with thunderbird, because it can not connect to the server.

What I have done so far;
1. Registered VPS with OVH,
2. Bought Plesk web admin licence,
3. Registered with Cloudflare and used their name servers, afterwards copied everything from my VPS DNS Settings into Cloudflare settings as is,
4. Created new email [email protected]
5. Downloaded Thunderbird, and tried next settings
Incoming: IMAP
Server hostname: mail.mydomain.com
mail: [email protected]
and various other settings..

But I can not make it work..

Thanks

Make sure at least, that IMAP and SMTP servers are accessible from your workstation. You can check it with telnet, for example:

telnet mail.mydomain.com 143
telnet mail.mydomain.com 25

Thanks for rapid respond.

This is output..

Connection failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

So, make sure that IMAP and SMTP ports are not filtered by firewall and hostname of your mailservers are correctly resolvable to IP address and this IP address is not firewalled too.

Hi IgorG,

I can not see any Firewall enable on OVH Control Panel, everything looks fine.

Is there any documentation for Plesk email configuration?

I was thinking It should be straightaway. Maybe I am missing some settings?

Documentation is here Mail
But I strongly recommend you check that mailserver hostname is resolvable at least.

The problem was so stupid that I can not believe!

Please guys consider this option enabled by default, because I have spent whole day figuring out what is wrong with this sh****!

Enable SMTP service on port 587 on all IP addresses - is disabled by default on panel.

Cheers @IgorG and thanks for the help!

Ops,

Still facing issue. When I enable SMTP service on port 587 - my outgoing server does not work, I can not send emails at all.

However, results of Telnet

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.

220 domain.com ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)

Screenshot < Screenshot
jfpdn6

Thunderbird can not see the servers, and I can not make it work!

Any help? :/

From logs:

lesk_saslauthd[9192]: No such user '[email protected]' in mail authorization database

May 9 17:53:03 root plesk_saslauthd[9192]: failed mail authenticatication attempt for user '[email protected]' (password len=5)

Last edited:
Furthermore,

I have installed Let's Encrypt CERT on domain mail server, after that I've used incoming port 993 and SMTP 465 w/ encrypted password option - and everything works well!

What a mess :) I have to learn more..

I use an external DNS server so I can't show you a screenshot of Plesk's, but at the very least,
there should be an A Record that points your b2bunlock.com to your IP address.
Then, you need an A Record of mail that also points to your same IP address.
Then you need an MX Record that points mail.b2bunlock.com to your @.

Why Plesk by default didn't include MX Record that points to my @?

Plesk's default DNS settings don't have that..

Why Plesk by default didn't include MX Record that points to my @?

Plesk's default DNS settings don't have that..

Maybe because it really isn't necessary to have a subdomain to handle email — it's just smarter in case you need to move the mail server by itself to a different server. By default, it may all be handled using just the main root domain. Did you try using b2bunlock.com by itself as the SMTP and IMAP servers?

Back