• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Malfunction in Diagnose & Repair -> file system

johnrdorazio

Basic Pleskian
I just ran Diagnose & Repair -> File System [Only the Virtual Hosts files] from the GUI. One of my subdomains which is located in a subfolder of the main domain became unreachable with Nginx Permission Denied (13). I double checked the folder and file permissions from the command line and at first they all seemed correct. I couldn't figure out what was causing the Nginx permission error. So I attempted putting another path name for the subdomain, and then I compared the permissions between the previous subfolder and the current subfolder. And that's where I finally saw the problem: the initial subfolder had been reset to group psacln, whereas the new subfolder was set to group psaserv. I reverted the subdomain path back to the initial subfolder and chowned the folder to the psaserv group, and voilà my subdomain was back up and running.

I believe this is a bug in Diagnose & Repair -> File System, it should know that if a folder is set to serve a domain or subdomain, then it's group should be set to psaserv. If this is already the case, then I'm wondering if it could be an issue in the order in which operations are performed: fixing permissions on the subdomain and then on the domain would probably result in all domain subfolders being chowned to the psacln group, perhaps overwriting a previous operation in which the subfolder had been chowned to the psaserv group.

In any case, I guess it could be considered a best practice to avoid setting a subdomain path to a subfolder within the folder of the main domain?

Back