• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Manual Database rescue

aaronouthier

New Pleskian
Ok. I ran into a small problem with my Plesk Server. I accidentally typed "rm -rf /etc", instead of "rm -rf etc", on the production server... On a positive note, we don't host customer sites, just our own. On the down side, there are about a dozen web sites down now. I had been bugging the boss for over a year to purchase a backup drive for the system, but he never did.

Fortunately, I am an advanced Linux user, and, after purchasing a 1 TB backup drive, I used a linux boot USB stick, and imaged the primary drive onto the backup drive. Afterward, I went about reinstalling the OS. I had been wanting to reinstall anyway, but was waiting for the boss to purchase a backup drive. Irony...

Anyway, I've started to get the websites re-provisioned, and getting the file content copied back into place for each site. Although I a a wizard with Linux, one area I've never been very good with is Databases. I need to recover them from the original install, but I'm not too sure how to go about that post-mortem. Can I just copy the database stores into the same location on the new install? I don't imagine I can. All of the sites were wordpress sites. Those don't function so well without their database content. :(

Oh, I should probably mention: I was originally on Ubuntu 16.04.4, but decided to go with CentOS 7 this time around, since Ubuntu didn't support quotas.

If you have used the built-in Plesk backup function, go from there and restore the databases from the corresponding subscriptions.

If you have SQL dumps of the databases, you can easily import them into the databases.

If you have neither one, things will become anything between difficult to impossible.

Back