• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question mariaDB and postgreSQL on one server

S8669n1m2gb

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
latest
Plesk version and microupdate number
latest
Hi,

I currently have MariaDB database server version 5.5.68 installed. The latest version of Joomla 4, however, needs the latest version of mariaDB. I do not want to update it on my server to the latest version because it may turn out that suddenly many pages on the old version of joomla will stop working.

Can I have several database servers with different versions on one plesk server? I can theoretically add a new server, e.g. postgreSQL (which I would use for Joomla 4) but I don't know what to enter in hostname (localhost is already taken) to make it work well with current databases.

Are you sure your OS version is latest? Because 5.5.68 is from a rather old MariaDB series. That particular version's release was two years ago, and the 5.5 series is EOL.
The 10.0.x series came out 8 years ago, and current is 10.7.3.

@mow Indeed CentOS delivers version 5.5 of MariaDB by default. It is well possible that S8669n1m2gb is using their default.

@S8669n1m2gb You should upgrade to 10.6 following this guide (replace the 10.1 version with 10.6) https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...w-to-upgrade-MariaDB-10-0-to-10-1-on-CentOS-7 . Here are two settings you may need to adapt in your my.cnf configuration file afterwards:
- Always: The bind-statement should either be set to :: or 127.0.0.1 but only one of these two with no further additions.
- Occasionally necessary: If you experience issues with the Plesk database or other databases after complete upgrade, try to add "sql_mode= ''" to my.cnf, too. But only if there are issues with some tables.

The new version of MariaDB will work fine with your old Joomla as well as your new Joomla.

I have CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 with maria 5.5.68. I'm afraid to update maria db because I have many Joomla installation on server. If update will be not successful....

Maybe it will be safer to use postgreSQL for new Joomla installations (and it will be possible to migrate old one to postgreSQL step by step).

It is possible to have two different sql servers on working in one plesk?

Back