• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Need a little help. Migration.

joe-td

New Pleskian
I've recently started using Plesk on a small in-house server. Set up with Ubuntu 20.04 and docker.
Followed the official Plesk how-to to set it up.
After install, and adding a few domains, I discover that the Plesk Firewall can not start. And in can not be configured. Due to missing iptables.
I have confirmed that iptables are installed in Ubuntu, but Plesk doesn't care. It doesn't recognize the iptables.
So, I figured that Docker installation is perhaps not the way to go with Plesk.
I have only got a small server, and I have no problem dedicating it all to Plesk - but then I should migrate the content of my server.
This, however seems impossible.
Migration agent does not work on Docker installations of Plesk, it seems. Or, maybe I have misunderstood. Any how, the Migration agent does not recognize the plesk in the container as a Plesk for Linux.
Does anyone have some pointers for me. I tried googling it, but couldn't find exactly what I need. Neither for the issue with the firewall and iptables OR the migration.
I even tried making a full backup, and restoring it on a temporary server. This also failed.
Please, if someone has the patience to help me a bit on the way, I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance,
JoE

Why would someone want to run Plesk in a Docker container? Maybe in this case you have the wrong product and are looking for something like Virtuozzo to create virtual boxes on the same hardware.

Why would someone want to run Plesk in a Docker container? Maybe in this case you have the wrong product and are looking for something like Virtuozzo to create virtual boxes on the same hardware.
We bought the wrong licence, and tried to set up the necessary software for our needs by using a Docker install. This did not go well.
Now, we have a dedicated server with appropriate licence.
Still not able to transfer the backup, though. But thanks!

Migrator and Backup are practically the same component and normally work very well. Maybe you can describe the issue in detail? Do you get an error message when trying to restore a backup or to migrate an account?

Hello, again.
I forgot to come back and thank you all for the support. We managed to save all the data, though we had to set up each domain name individually, and then restore the data from backup.
Luckily this was a small server, with few domains - so it didn't take long.
But thanks, you who pointed me in the right direction.

Back