• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question New dedicated IP added by Plesk - what changes do in network config file?

BigMaras

New Pleskian
Hello,
I have two question about plesk onyx on debian:
1) Adding new dedicated ip via plesk onyx what changes make in network config file or maybe also in other files?
2) Is it equivalent of manual modification network file?
3) When I received new, second ip from hosting company the safe is to use plesk or better do it manually?

You'll want to do it from Plesk. You can technically do it manually and then go into the IP configuration in Plesk and use the re-read option but that's just creating extra work for yourself.

You'll want to do it from Plesk. You can technically do it manually and then go into the IP configuration in Plesk and use the re-read option but that's just creating extra work for yourself.

Thank you for reply, could you please tell me what changes in linux interfaces file make plex by adding IP? I do not want to make a mess in config file so from administrator point of view I would like to now before use this option.

Thank you, I didn't know that there is in ocean of internet such a greate tool like google this will be very helpfull but even google couldn't find any one answear to my question. I think that my question was easy but it looks that I made mistake.

So, maybe one more time - anybody knows what changes in network config file /etc/network/interfaces (debian 9.7) make plesk when adding new IP? Is it use legacy method, iproute2 method or any other?

1) Adding new dedicated ip via plesk onyx what changes make in network config file or maybe also in other files?
Adding IP addresses
  1. Go to Tools & Settings > IP Addresses.
  2. Click Add IP Address.
    Note: If you are running Plesk in a Virtuozzo container, you can add IP addresses only on the Virtuozzo hardware node. The Add IP Address button will not be displayed. To learn how to add IP addresses if you are running Plesk in a Virtuozzo container, refer to the Virtuozzo documentation. Once you have added the desired IP addresses, re-read IP addresses.

Note: (Plesk for Windows) You cannot add IP addresses to or remove them from a network interface with enabled DHCP. To add or remove an IP address, disable DHCP for a given network interface.

3. Select the network interface for the new IP from the Interface menu.
  4. Enter the IP address and the subnet mask in the corresponding box. For example, 123.123.123.123/16 or 2002:7b7b:7b7b::1/64.
  5. (Optional, used for Plesk servers behind NAT) Set the Public IP address. If you are adding a private IP address you plan to use to host public-facing websites, you can pair it with a public IP address by typing it in the Set the Public IP address field. This IP address will be used in A records of the domains hosted on this IP.
  6. Select whether the new IP address will be shared or dedicated.
  7. Select the default SSL/TLS certificate to use for the new IP address. By default, every IP address is secured with the default (self-signed) certificate. To learn more about SSL/TLS certificates, see Securing Connections with SSL/TLS Certificates.
  8. (Plesk for Windows) Select the desired FTPS usage policy.
    Note: To enable secure FTP connections, the FTP server installed on your Plesk server must support FTP over SSL/TLS. For example, Gene6, Serv-U FTP, IIS FTP 7.x servers support FTP over SSL/TLS.

9. Click OK to add the IP address.
2) Is it equivalent of manual modification network file?
Yes
3) When I received new, second ip from hosting company the safe is to use plesk or better do it manually?
Using Plesk is safer.

Adding IP addresses
  1. Go to Tools & Settings > IP Addresses.
  2. Click Add IP Address.
    Note: If you are running Plesk in a Virtuozzo container, you can add IP addresses only on the Virtuozzo hardware node. The Add IP Address button will not be displayed. To learn how to add IP addresses if you are running Plesk in a Virtuozzo container, refer to the Virtuozzo documentation. Once you have added the desired IP addresses, re-read IP addresses.

Note: (Plesk for Windows) You cannot add IP addresses to or remove them from a network interface with enabled DHCP. To add or remove an IP address, disable DHCP for a given network interface.

3. Select the network interface for the new IP from the Interface menu.
  4. Enter the IP address and the subnet mask in the corresponding box. For example, 123.123.123.123/16 or 2002:7b7b:7b7b::1/64.
  5. (Optional, used for Plesk servers behind NAT) Set the Public IP address. If you are adding a private IP address you plan to use to host public-facing websites, you can pair it with a public IP address by typing it in the Set the Public IP address field. This IP address will be used in A records of the domains hosted on this IP.
  6. Select whether the new IP address will be shared or dedicated.
  7. Select the default SSL/TLS certificate to use for the new IP address. By default, every IP address is secured with the default (self-signed) certificate. To learn more about SSL/TLS certificates, see Securing Connections with SSL/TLS Certificates.
  8. (Plesk for Windows) Select the desired FTPS usage policy.
    Note: To enable secure FTP connections, the FTP server installed on your Plesk server must support FTP over SSL/TLS. For example, Gene6, Serv-U FTP, IIS FTP 7.x servers support FTP over SSL/TLS.

9. Click OK to add the IP address.

Yes

Using Plesk is safer.

Thank you for reply. To be honest I read manual from plesk but I just would like to know what method is using by plesk? Is it use legacy method, iproute2 method or any other?

Back