• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question nginx suddenly gives a configuration error after upgrade

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
I'm using Zabbix to monitor a lot on my servers.
One of those many things is that I let Zabbix issue an Nginx -T each half hour.
Nginx will only adopt a new configuration after its configuration is tested.
This way Nginx will not suddenly stop working after some configuration error.

By letting Zabbix test the configuration each half hour I can be made aware of some configuration error before it becomes a problem. I now managed to solve the arisen problem with no downtime at all as nginx never ran with that config.

This morning I noticed an alert in the dashboard of Zabbix concerning the configuration of nginx on only 1 of my several servers. I then logged into that server to find out what it was

# nginx -T
nginx: [emerg] a duplicate listen 127.0.0.1:61709 in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ww010_zabbix.conf:2
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

This configuration file has been there for years and was not altered. It's a telemetry feature of Nginx which is used by Nginx. It has/had this content:

# cat /etc/nginx/conf.d/ww010_zabbix.conf
server {
listen localhost:61709;

location / {
stub_status on;
access_log off;
allow 127.0.0.1;
deny all;
}
}

I then checked if nginx has been altered:

# ls -l /usr/sbin/nginx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 959K Aug 21 14:43 /usr/sbin/nginx

Aha...
It seems that I was given a new nginx last night that was compiled a week ago.

I then suspected that nginx already had that feature of providing telemetry on localhost by default, so I disabled to config by adding the suffix ".disabled" to the config file, restart nginx and issue a netstat -lntp | grep nginx
But no, nothing of the kind

# netstat -lntp | grep nginx
tcp 0 0 76.204.211.29:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 11079/nginx
tcp 0 0 76.204.211.29:443 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 11079/nginx

I then renamed the config file back to one ending with .conf and changed the port. But no, that made no difference.
Only after I renamed "localhost" to "127.0.0.1" I regained the original situation where nginx provided telemetry info again.

# netstat -lntp | grep nginx
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:61709 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 12066/nginx
tcp 0 0 76.204.211.29:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 12066/nginx
tcp 0 0 76.204.211.29:443 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 12066/nginx

Without my monitoring "nginx -t" constantly I could never have been so sure to point the culprit. No damage was done because of nginx's feature to only accept "proper" configurations. Only because I monitor it I can know that this happened last night. Normally this would expose itself much later after I would have changed something else and stopped/started nginx manually or rebooted the server (most of my servers have an uptime of several years unless they are newer).

So why does it suddenly only wants 127.0.0.1 and gives this awkward "duplicate error" when I use localhost?

http://nginx.org/en/CHANGES
Changes with nginx 1.15.10 26 Mar 2019

*) Change: when using a hostname in the "listen" directive nginx now
creates listening sockets for all addresses the hostname resolves to
(previously, only the first address was used).

localhost on modern OSes resolves to 127.0.0.1 and ::1 and using hostname instead of IP address gives you this error

PS This is only idea, i'm not sure. Also you can use nginx -T > full.conf to compile full nginx config (with all includes) and check for duplicates

@mrsombre Although I did not state this in my original post, I did check if there were duplicate posts.

You are correct with that suggestion. It is related.
Your remark made me check my /etc/hosts and I noticed that I didn't change that file after I disabled ipv6 on my machine.

I still think it's a bug in nginx as no ::1 address on my server exists.
It should either draw another error message or ignore that socket and generate a warning message.

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
76.204.211.29 ns.wolf.com ns

#::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

I think I have good reasons to disable ipv6 on my machine.

Okay, i tested it on my deb9 plesk

added your config to nginx.conf
Code:
server {
  listen localhost:61709;

location / {
    stub_status on;
    access_log off;
    allow 127.0.0.1;
    deny all;
  }
}

Check
Code:
nginx -t
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

Restart
Code:
netstat -tulpn | grep 61709
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:61709         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      21157/nginx: master
tcp6       0      0 ::1:61709               :::*                    LISTEN      21157/nginx: master

/etc/hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.1.1    kdb90x64-clean-packer.qa.plesk.ru    kdb90x64-clean-packer

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Back