• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Node gives up the ghost [Node is no longer working]

Kroptokin

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9 (Midnight Oncilla)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57 Update #5, last updated on Dec 23, 2023 02:30 AM
So - I am using the Node "feature". Ever since I set it up on a very clean installation and according to the instructions it has always said "another instance of node is already running on this root" - (I posted it about this before but don't think I got a response from Plesk (Issue - Issues with installing node.js). I am on the "ask your ISP for support plan". Ha. Anyway - today it has given up the ghost. Stopped responding to any requests at all. The passenger log seemed to show a request but that was it.

I wonder where I should start trying to resolve this?

Since I haven't got time (the whole idea of spending rather a lot of money on this was so I don't have to spend time on server admin) to look into this I'm going to try deleting the domain and starting again. I'll post back.

If anyone knows any alternative way to run Node/Express apps without Plesk that would be great.

Thanks

So - deleted the domain and started again. Some permission problems when I used the interface to run npm install which is odd. I don't remember that from before. Seem to have overcome them. Set everything up as per the documentation How to Host Node.js Applications on Plesk Obsidian and back where we started - something is running. There are signs of life in the passenger log. But any requests are not processed in anyway - nothing can be logged and nothing is returned.

What is odd is that this problem just emerged. I didn't change anything. It was working and then it wasn't. I don't know where to look really though I think my next bet is to ignore plesk and just try to run a node web app on linux as if I didn't have Plesk.

ve instead.
App 34072 output: (Use `node --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
[ E 2024-01-17 19:26:39.0438 33035/T0 apa/Hooks.cpp:751 ]: Unexpected error in mod_passenger: Cannot connect to the Passenger core at unix:/tmp/passenger.8tadAT7/agents.s/core
Backtrace:
in 'Passenger::FileDescriptor Passenger::Apache2Module::Hooks::connectToCore()' (Hooks.cpp:343)
in 'int Passenger::Apache2Module::Hooks::handleRequest(request_rec*)' (Hooks.cpp:622)

Also this:

App 34441 output: (node:34441) [DEP0040] DeprecationWarning: The `punycode` module is deprecated. Please use a userland alternative instead.
App 34441 output: (Use `node --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

So - It is receiving requests and dying before it can pass the request to anything to process it.

#
[ W 2024-01-17 20:08:27.0343 159403/T1 age/Wat/WatchdogMain.cpp:538 ]: Some Phusion Passenger(R) agent processes did not exit in time, forcefully shutting down all.
[ E 2024-01-17 20:08:32.0025 156278/T0 apa/Hooks.cpp:751 ]: Unexpected error in mod_passenger: Cannot connect to the Passenger core at unix:/tmp/passenger.WYXJHaG/agents.s/core
Backtrace:

Sorry to write a whole chain but it doesn't let me edit previous entries.
Ok. So after a lot of trying different things we have some consistency around nginx 504 or 502 and also it is very keen on directing my domain to the Plesk login page even when assuring me that the Node app is ready to answer and all the directories are set up as per the documentation. I don't think this feature is production ready. I have wasted a lot of time on it. It seems that if you want to run a node web app you should avoid this feature and just run it on the OS without any help from Plesk.

Back